Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! :)

I am looking for an EX-500 as my second bike. I restored an 85 Yamaha Maxim X and rode it last season, and now I am looking for an EX500 to transition to sportbikes.

I have a couple of questions for you guys:

First of all, one of the bikes that I am looking at is a 2001, with around 3,000 miles on it. This is because it sat in storage for about 4 years. The current owners had the carbs serviced, including replacing most of the wearable parts. They also had the gas tank professionally coated. My question is - what should I be looking for that could have gone bad during that time sitting?

The Maxim X that I restored had the oil turn rancid. Luckily, the engine was almost completely aluminum. However, I still had to change the oil about 5 times in the first thousand miles, and do a flush to get the rust out. Also, the coolant had gone bad, and the tank was slightly rusted. What on this bike would rust? Is there any seals in particular that could be extra susceptible?

From what I have heard, tank coatings can be bad news. They can peel off and clog fuel systems. Is this common?

Lastly, the person wants $3000. Depending on who you believe the book value is somewhere between $2300 to $2800. Do you think this is a fair price considering there is nothing wrong with the bike other than the unknowns above.

I am pretty sure I am either going to get an EX500 or GS500, so I can pass on the bike and be patient. However, I hope it is an EX500 so that I can participate in this great board. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
275 Posts
3 grand seems a little steep. I don't know where your from but try taking a daily peek at craigslist.org in their motorcycle for sale section. normally search words "ex500" & "ninja 500" will return a few returns. CL ads usually have inflated prices, however in my experiences these prices are normally easily negotiated down.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
MaximX said:
What on this bike would rust? Is there any seals in particular that could be extra susceptible?
Frame, tank, and bearings come to mind. if it's been in storage, i doubt it's seen much moisture, but the possibility is still there. I'd check the fork seals though, just in case.

From what I have heard, tank coatings can be bad news. They can peel off and clog fuel systems. Is this common?
Depends on the system used. if it was done the right way, it shouldn't peal.

Lastly, the person wants $3000. Depending on who you believe the book value is somewhere between $2300 to $2800. Do you think this is a fair price considering there is nothing wrong with the bike other than the unknowns above.
the unkonws is what you have to be careful of. $3000 is a little high for a bike that hasn't been started in half a decade. You have to consider how much refurbishing you'll need to do before it's serviceable. take that off the price. I'd take it home for $2500.

I am pretty sure I am either going to get an EX500 or GS500, so I can pass on the bike and be patient. However, I hope it is an EX500 so that I can participate in this great board. Thanks in advance for the help!
Both are great bikes to start off on the road. EX500 is more powerful, but the GS is more reliable.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I forgot to mention that the current owner did all of the "restoration", including replacing clutch, cleaning carbs, clutch and throttle cables. They say that they have put about 1,000 miles on the bike since then. The one thing that I was considering is that they still have the original tires on there! 6-7 year old tires are going to be no good, but they keep insisting in their e-mails that the tires are fine.

R

·
0 Posts
If they did all that work, and can prove it via receipts, it's not TOOOOOO bad a deal. Get them down on price anyhow, because no machine should sit idle that long. (says the guy who just bought a 25 year old bike which hasn't turned over in 8 years..)

Oh, and replace the tires. If they're the stock ones, everyone says their garbage anyways.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Royson said:
Oh, and replace the tires. If they're the stock ones, everyone says their garbage anyways.
They are sure good for burnouts though... ;D

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
PontiacJack said:
Royson said:
They are sure good for burnouts though... ;D
hehehehe.... so true... esp. if you've got a syringe filled with kerosene handy... and a fire extinguisher.

R

·
0 Posts
I haven't even tried a burn out on my bike. Ever since high school, when I burned through I think 3 sets of tires on my first car within 100k, I've been taking it easy. I'll wait till my Pilots are on their way out before I burn them up!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bummer :-\

I went and looked at the bike today. It is really great advice to not have the owners warm up the bike before you get there. It took about 3 minutes to get it started. And then it only ran on one cylinder for a few minutes. The bike ran well once warmed, but had all the usual suspects from sitting. Dry rotted rubber, bad gaskets, rust. I was not impressed.

Once again bummer. :(

Does anyone near dallas, tx, want to sell their EX-500?

Thanks for the advice guys.

R

·
0 Posts
A big city like that will have plenty for sale - better to walk away from a bike that's in poor shape if you're not looking for a project, or getting a heck of a deal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts