Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for some racing slicks for my '05. The front is 110/70/17 and rear 130/70/17. I see that pirelli SC1 have the front, the but the smallest for the rear is 140/70/17(and they be pretty pricy). I tried a 140 street tire in the past and felt it took much more effort to lean the bike. I prefer the 130 size which fits the 3.5 inch rim properly. I see that 120 size are also spec'ed for 3.5 inch rims. I spectated a recent track day at buttonwillow and saw that a lot of people just throw away a decent front tire when the rear is worn out. I was thinking it could be budget friendly to just acquire 2 of these 120 sized front tires and mount one on the rear reversed and the other up front(opposite of what the big cruisers do when mounting a rear tire up front). If I could find a 110 for the front in a matching compound, I would mount that up front instead, but all the SS seem to run 120 fronts.

If using a 120F in the rear, should it be reversed? Has anyone tried this? Is this a recipe for disaster?

Does running a 120 instead of 110 up front make a big difference? In what way?

Can anyone recommend racing slick that come in 110 and 130?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking around some more, I found that people don't do this for a few reasons, but all seem to have counter arguments.

1. The tread for front and rear is different
- Correct me if I'm wrong, but slicks don't have tread, they are slick.
2. Front is designed for braking forces, rear for acceleration.
- I believe this is corrected by reversing the direction of rotation.
3. The front cant hold the same load capacity as the front.
- I've stripped my EX down so its close to 370lbs with 2 gallons of gas. Geared up, me and an bike will be around 550lbs. Front tires have a capacity around 480lbs, while rear around 560lbs. So weight capacity shouldn't be an issue I believe.

I've been reading people like using 150/60/17 on the rear. Perhaps I need to try one of these tires out and see of the turn in feels. Previously I ran 140/70/17, may 140/60/17 would have felt better.

Still curious though if anyone has tried running 2 front tires and their experience. Could make for some super budget track days if it works good... or some very high budget ones if not... :)

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
You can do as you please, but if your a fast guy .or wanna be one. you need to spend the money for the good stuff. Being the old guy (parent) My fast guy kid got all the good stuff and I wallowed around mid pack.
After he retired I got a Penske shock and new tires every race and became a winner.
So Yer pays yer money and you take yer choice.

FOG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply FOG. I have no intention of racing, just riding group C and get getting passed in almost every straight section by the SS. I wouldnt consider myself a slow rider, but definitely not the fastest. I haven't ridden the track yet, just observed.
I have 2 sets of wheels for the bike so I'll experiment with the 150/60 for now and if I can get some used fronts in decent shape, I will try them out too.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
+1 is an OK idea on stock rims. Bigger will be a waste of time, handling and money. Too wide on the rear and you will have wide chicken strips - meaning that you have less rubber on the track than with narrower tires. Generally: fronts tend to be somewhat triangular, as they do steering and braking. Rears tend to be rounded, as they do the following and the powering. Swap these at your peril, as they were made that way by engineers on the advice of racers.

Used tires are a risk. They could be cupped from a bent bike. Cupping is for coffee and not for tires. How were they mounted and dismounted? The bead could be torn, as they were considered throw-aways. Are you sure you even need slicks? Sticky street tires are probably better/cheaper as they will 1) last longer and 2) transmit less forces into your spaghetti frame. Frame windup is not so much a problem. It's the unwinding.

These bike have been raced for so long by so many that there are no track secrets relating to the bike. Join a local club and pay attention.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the enlightening reply. Lots of good information. I guess my only reason for wanting to try slicks is because I will be on the track and most people are using them, but also most people are on SS. I am open to running good street tires. Didn't consider the flexibility of the frame, but that is a major consideration to factor in.

Is there a consensus about what the best street tire and size is for the bike when using stock wheels? Ive used the sport demons and battleax in stock sizes. Really liked the traction of the sport demons, but they got squared off quickly on the highway.

Just got some shinkos 740/741 in stock size for ~$130 delivered. Gonna mount those tires this weekend and try them out. I found shinko makes the 008 slicks in 150/60 size, for ~200 a pair, but am second guessing the need for slicks with this bike and if 150/60 is a downgrade from 130/70.

Still a couple months till I plan on getting out there, just need some new boots n gloves n sticky tires. maybe some new brake pads too. :)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The tires that square off the quickest are probably the stickiest. When you can go no quicker on street tires, then think of slicks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like a good plan to me. I'll probably go for the sport demons then as they are the stickiest I've ridden.

That tire has been around a while now though. Does anyone know of an even stickier street tire than the sport demons?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been looking for some racing slicks for my '05. The front is 110/70/17 and rear 130/70/17. I see that pirelli SC1 have the front, the but the smallest for the rear is 140/70/17(and they be pretty pricy). I tried a 140 street tire in the past and felt it took much more effort to lean the bike. I prefer the 130 size which fits the 3.5 inch rim properly. I see that 120 size are also spec'ed for 3.5 inch rims. I spectated a recent track day at buttonwillow and saw that a lot of people just throw away a decent front tire when the rear is worn out. I was thinking it could be budget friendly to just acquire 2 of these 120 sized front tires and mount one on the rear reversed and the other up front(opposite of what the big cruisers do when mounting a rear tire up front). If I could find a 110 for the front in a matching compound, I would mount that up front instead, but all the SS seem to run 120 fronts.

If using a 120F in the rear, should it be reversed? Has anyone tried this? Is this a recipe for disaster?

Does running a 120 instead of 110 up front make a big difference? In what way?

Can anyone recommend racing slick that come in 110 and 130?
Go buy the Dunlop 110or 120 front, 140 rear and have some fun. The bike turns in quicker and the grip is SO much better you'll be very happy. If you think it doesn't turn in well enough or hold a tight enough line, raise the rear/lower the front until it does what you want it to. I used to raise the front so the tubes were 7/8th inches above the triples( no handlebar mounts) and cut the dogbones about 3/8ths inches to raise the rear 1.5 inches. Then be careful the first time you ride it. It will turn in much quicker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts