Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike flipped over in the sand of my driveway and smashed up my fairing really good.
looking to put a gen1 fairing on my 07 cause I like them way better.
Anyone have one laying around? Dings and cracks okay as long as I can make it fit the bike

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
A gen1 rear fairing won't fit over a gen2 rear master cylinder.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
neither will the seat or back light there a different shape. and that's just the back, the front is a whole new ball game.
I’m talking about the front fairing only, I briefly looked through the forum and it seemed like the gen1 fairing would fit

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Noop. not that easy (did you expect it to be) yes one will fit the gen 2. IF you get. (are you ready for this).
1. the fairing. + 2. the screen + 3. the faring stay. + 4. gen 1 head light. because all are different with differing fixings to the front plastic and frame.
then you will need. 5. gen 1 mirrors (gen 2 won't fit) 6. the infills for the fairing. (to stabilise the top plastics).
then 7. a gen 1 clock set. (to fit into the infills) that is after you have converted it to run on the gen 2 electrics. (different wiring) .
on face value the gen 1 is similar to the gen 2. until you look at the differences (might as well be a different bike)
good luck. and also don't forget the gen 1 stuff is older so less likely to be in top condition they are by nature harder to find. if you still think it's worth it I pop a photo below of the gen 1 set up for you to see. then compere it to your gen 2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i didn’t expect it to be super easy but I figured it was doable. I’m not opposed to having a ratty bike (if it runs good it looks fine) as long as I don’t have a fuckload of vibrating slapping plastics. It’s hard even to find a gen 2 fairing for a decent amount of money.
I don’t want to street fighter it because I really feel like there’s some utility in a sport fairing, and I like the way they look.
The idea of a Gen 1 fairing with an aftermarket headlight or two fitted into it is pretty cool to me.
It does seem hard to source a windscreen though. and I could make whatever mirrors and blinkers I wanted fit.

my biggest concern is just the gen 2 gauge cluster physically having enough room, but that could in turn force me to just get a trail tech and install that.

I think I’m gonna move this over to the mods forum and get more opinions, I’m not in much of a hurry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts