Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've had an 08 ex-500 for about 2 years. It had 20k miles and I've put about half on it myself. I've done all the work on it myself too and hope to keep that up.
That being said, I've noticed the clutch slipping when I accelerate from a stop. If I baby the throttle and keep it very gentle at low rpms, it may doesn't slip but I can tell it wants to.
This has also come along when I've noticed my oil levels lowering. It's not smoking or visibly leaking everywhere. I park it in the same spot and have a center stand so I know for sure there are no external leaks and the level is consistently going down after each ride. Riding daily I'd say about half a quart a week.
I don't want to keep having to fill oil every time I ride because I haven't had to worry about this until very recently.
Is the clutch slipping caused by the oil issue or could it be something like the clutch itself or the sprockets / chain?
( just replaced chain itself but sprockets are just under a year old)

I really appreciate any help in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,312 Posts
What type and weight oil are you using?

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
change you clutch springs. to ZX6 ones or after market ones ,be sure your cable is releasing completly

·
Registered
157 Posts
"Is the clutch slipping caused by the oil issue..."

There is no relationship between the clutch and oil loss; in other words, the clutch cannot eat or destroy motor oil.
The common causes of excess oil consumption are leaks, worn piston rings, leaking valve seals.

You said half a quart a week; please translate to how many quarts per how many miles, e.g., 1 quart every 500 miles.
Suggest you change the oil and filter, then keep close tabs on oil consumption per miles.

Unless the oil is being contaminated with gasoline leaking past the petcock and carbs, I would anticipate a top end overhaul, sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts