Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06' Ninja 500r with 10,400 miles

Recently, the bike has been dipping rpms at idle and sometimes stalling. We checked the ignition coils with a timing light and both of them are showing spark loss. Any ideas on what is causing this? Odd that both of them started acting up at the same time so whatever it is has something to do with what sends them signal.... right?

·
Super Moderator
6,147 Posts
Did you check your valve clearance at the 7500 mile interval?
Right now I'm not convinced you have any spark loss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check your valve clearance at the 7500 mile interval?
Right now I'm not convinced you have any spark loss.
Bought the bike at 8,600 miles, no clue what the previous owner has done to it. Just changed the spark plugs and it seems a little better, not wanted to die as easily, but its still jumpy.

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
trim both ends of the spark plug cables, remove, disassemble and clean the insides of the spark plug caps
verify the coil terminals/ connectors are free of corrosion and firmly attached

check it out...some related info in this older thread 1992 EX500 ignition coil resistances

·
Super Moderator
6,147 Posts
We checked the ignition coils with a timing light and both of them are showing spark loss.
I've never heard of such a procedure, checking spark intensity with a timing light. I dismiss it as invalid.
the bike has been dipping rpms at idle
but its still jumpy.
This describes what would happen if there were grossly out of spec valve clearances on one cylinder. I suggest you check your valve clearances. Probably wasn't even done at the 7,500 mile interval anyway.

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
with unknown history, agree to full service.....start at the heart, check those valve clearances, work outward to electrics, wires/caps, air filtration....carb service if necessary too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts