Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks. I just bought my first bike - a 2001 EX-500 that's been modified by a previous owner to take luggage. I've lost the keys and there are no helmet locks or a seat lock (probably due to the modifications?). The seat just comes off when I press the bar down. I've read through the other entries on key replacement, and I'm wondering if there's any chance there's a key code somewhere else on this thing.

If not, is there a procedure for removing the ignition? I couldn't find one in the forums.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
123 Posts
I had a key made for a first gen via a lock smith, on the bike once, it costed about 100.00 they inserted a blank and filed things looking at the marks on the blank until it worked. I did not ask how they did it I just gave him money and let him do his thing. I had to show proof of ownership etc, but it was what worked for me, and I never lost my keys again. :whistle:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll probably have to do that, but I'd like to bring the locksmith the cylinder to avoid the charge for them to come out to the motorcycle.

·
Fast Old Guy
19,897 Posts
Remove the ignition , you will see the lock and the switch are seperat things you might be able to remove the lock and use the switch with something else.

Fog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I'm actually starting the process for that, using the shop-manual as a guide. I'd like to be able to make a key eventually. You know if there's any keycode on the ignition cylinder itself or that part of the bike?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - I'm actually starting the process for that, using the shop-manual as a guide. I'd like to be able to make a key eventually. You know if there's any keycode on the ignition cylinder itself or that part of the bike?
I dug deeper into the forum and found that there's a code on the underside of the cylinder - but have no idea how to separate the cylinder from the top triple. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
if your lucky the lock has been disturbed and will have some conventional fasteners. if not and they are the snap off type. you have to get inventive drill the centre and use stud removers (easyouts) cut a slot and try a flat bladed screwdriver or drill off the heads remove the ignition and remove the left in stud with vice grips. all this is easier if you take off the top tree and work at it on a bench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts