Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yooo, so i lost my key. Idek where it could be. How can I get a new one? Or what do i have to do?? Or is there a way to get my bike started without ruining my ignition.( Hot wiring it) any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
261 Posts
I lost a key a few times, I called a lock smith and they made me some. This forum is PG dude settle down with your language.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
IIRC, the bottom of the switch comes off with screws. Once it's off, the bottom half has all the electrical connections in it. It is a round steel case with wires on the bottom side and a white nylon circular piece with a "T" slot in it on the top side. You can use a screwdriver in the "T" slot to turn it on and off, but you'll have no fork lock. Careful, as any tweeker can rip your bike. Maybe use a disc lock, U-lock or cable lock. The lock also has a key code on it. I believe you can order a new key at Kawi using the code. Then make three copies and stash them. Or, cut back in the weed a bit and you'll remembrer where the key is. OK, just kidding there...

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,556 Posts
Depending on the year of your EX, it may have (hard to remove) security screws on the ignition switch. I believe these came into play in the middle of the '06 production run.

I think the easiest route is to remove a helmet lock, where you will find a key code on the back of it. A locksmith can then cut a key using this code. You may have to get a key blank from Kawasaki.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,556 Posts
Should be on the back side. You have to remove the lock to access it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts