Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so everyone knows that the pre-94 ex500's didn't have a lower fairing...so my friend bought a lower fairing for his 88 (before he sold it to me) from lockhart phillips a few years back, finally got around and ordered a fastening kit for it last year, then now...i have the kit and the fairing and i can't seem to figure out how to mount it. the lip on the fairing is not wide enough for me to even drill a hole big enough to mount it to the upper fairing. I am so lost as to how to mount it can someone help me?

pics of the lower fairing lip, upper fairing lip and the fastening kit:
http://www.may17paradeny.com/ouikikazz/bike/

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey buddy...well i shall do my best to describe how mine was set up, as my bike and i were hit by a van and i can no longer take pictures of it for u...

I had 3 mounting positions, two areas on the top and one bolt through the lower middle of the fairing...

Your upper fairing should bolt into a flange with a metal nut welded onto it...this is the point where on the new lower fairing you will want to drill a new hole and go buy a longer bolt to hold both the new fairing and the upper fairing....then about 6-8 away from that, dril a hole into both the upper fairing and the new lower fairing and connect them together with a Zip-tie...(trust me it works really well)...

(all of this should be done on the curved lip of the new fairing, so none of it will be visible

As for an anchor point on the bottom, i was lucky and the previous owner had created a bracket....basically he took about 10 inches of sheet metal, roughly 4 inches wide...he then wrapped it around the lower part of the frame and bolted it where the metal met each other, and then he had the other end sticking out where he attached the bolt through the lower fairing onto the metal bracket

here is a picture of it...its zoomed in so it looks grainy, but i believe u will get a better idea of it...its the rusted metal piece

here is another pic that might clear up some issues...but where it says "First Bolt" it should say Zip-Tie...and where it says "Zip-tie" it should say first bolt...i mixed them up

if this is unclear, just say so and i will try to explain better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the lip where the first bolt would go just doesn't seem wide enough for me to drill a hole and make it fit...i'll try though but any other recommendations?

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah its only like 1/2 an inch or less, just drill the hole big enough to fit the bolt through, it should only be like a 3/8inch hole

1 - 4 of 4 Posts