Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-\I just removed the lower fairing to change the oil, and am wondering whether it serves any purpose other than cosmetic(i.e. protection of lower cycle parts, aerodynamics, etc.)? If it is strictly cosmetic I may leave it off for awhile...the bike actually looks pretty good without it.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Other than to manage airflow around the engine (which doesn't really need it), it really serves no purpose other than looks. lots of people take them off to gain ground clearance and to protect resale.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I took mine off. IMO its pretty much cosmetic, with SOME usefulness in guiding air to the radiator, and keeping dirt and crap off the front of the motor.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replies folks. Sounds like the consensus is that it don't need no lower fairing. If I see any reduction in gas mileage with it off(i.e. my aerodynamics question), I'll report back to this forum, but bear in mind it may take a while since the weather is not great right now and it'll take a couple tankfulls to find out.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Don't worry about the radiator. the lower fairing doesn't do anything to redirect air to it as it is located BELOW the radiator. if anything, the front fender is what manages airflow to the radiator since it's dead center in front of it. but honestly, it doesn't do that very well.

you could take all the plastics off this bike and not have to worry about a decrease in aerodynamic efficiency on the street. Honestly, this bike is not designed for speed at all.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
well, if we wanted SPEED, we'd buy a CBR, or ZX6RR or something like that. this model serves its purpose as a get around town, or beginners bike well.

I've been without the fairing, and with it for a few tanks full, never really noticed a difference in fuel milage.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Pfft, no idea... I'm not really versed in all the exact detailed differences between the two bikes, so i'm not the best person to ask. I doubt it's got the EXACT same porting work as the 636, but it could be the same.... I'd immagine the RR has more flow since it's gotta live at higher RPM's to make power, but that's just a guess. I'm certain there's alot of other differences in the rest of the head though. I know compression ratios are quite different (12.8 vs 13.5, just looked that up) and i'm sure the cams, duration, timing, and valves are quite different as well.

I also don't know if it'd match up to the 636 if that's what you're gettin at.

I did find alot of spec info about the 6RR here
http://www.aperaceparts.com/tech/04 ZX6RR

Ask on a 636 board about mods, if the 6RR head swap is common (doubtful), look into it, if not, abandon the idea. Personally, I'd leave your bike alone aside from the usual PC & exhaust.

EDIT: good article: http://www.motorsports-network.com/kawasaki/04street/zx6rr.htm

·
Registered
78 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not an aftermarket fairing? I was meaning to say that I don't think I've seen a 95 with a fairing that came on there stock. I would really love to have that kind of fairing on my bike but I'm guessing their too expensive or not manufactured anymore or both.

·
Registered
55 Posts
yea targa still makes the pieces, and Airtech makes other cool stuff too, a solo seat tail, and all the original plastics too, the full fairing is like 350 i think but not sure, and i was only yankin ur chain man....

R

·
0 Posts
I've got mine in a special spot - right underneath my dust buster and scuba fins on my top shelf. Maybe I'll put it back on next year. Plus I think it looks pretty sharp without it on anyhow.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been riding without my lower cowling since my second oil change. I threw it in the trunk of my muscle car and haven't looked back since. :) I found the cowling to be mainly a source of stress and aggravation. 1st off I feel it's there only to get broken (ground clearance etc...), Secondly it was always in the way when doing oil changes, coolant flush etc...

Also being that the ex500 attracts primarily commuters and 1st time riders, there is no need to "look cool/fast". If you ask me the "naked" look is pretty sharp.

-side note- I just returned from Europe (Paris) a month ago and full dressed bikes are almost no where to be seen! Naked sport bikes and scooters reign supreme.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey PontiacJack, thanks for the opinion. I think I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm still riding with mine off and I like the look better too, not to mention those maintenance issues you noted and the potential damage aggravation. I have checked my mileage one time since taking it off and did not see any decrease. I'll keep this thread posted if I do.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts