Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to lower my wifes ex but have no clue how to do the front. i have a guy whos gonna charge my $70 for a dogbone. is that to much and how do i lower that front ???

·
Registered
549 Posts
FOG and dad only charge about $40 (those are for raising the rear). They would have to make you a custom set to lower it, although I don't think they reccommend doing that usually.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It can be lowered but I hate to see that done. These already have corner clearance issues as you get going faster.

Lowering the front isn't really easy because the handlebar mounts cap the fork tubes. I suppose a spacer could be made that duplicates the base of the handlebar mounts and would afford some more space to slide the tubes up through the triple clamps but that will also raise the bars.

Is she so short that it's a real problem? Many times it's the concern and not the reality that is trouble. If she's at least 5' she can probably deal with it. Something you might do that's temporary to get her started is to adjust the rear sag way down and maybe even make a set of shorter spring spacers for the front. PVC pipe from the hardeware store, cut 1/2" or so shorter than the stock spacers will do it. Keep the stock spacers and rear adjustment settings so you can go back to them as she gets comfortable with it. This is not a good idea as she gets to really riding the bike but for starting she shouldn't be pushing it hard enough to be a problem.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has become a problem bc she's dropped it while trying to back it out of parking spaces. she's already on her tip toes. she doesnt have to experience to grind the pegs even if its lowered.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's the lower fairing and headers that grind not the pegs . But in your case sounds like lowering it is the right idea . Happy riding to the both of you !

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
alerbaugh said:
it has become a problem bc she's dropped it while trying to back it out of parking spaces. she's already on her tip toes. she doesnt have to experience to grind the pegs even if its lowered.
If it hurts when you bang your head on the wall, quit doing it. :eek: ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Even with many years experience I don't try to walk the bike backwards that way. I do it from the side with a hand on the rear handle. A hip into the seat and the sidestand left down in case you lose footing is also an option. Hands on the handlebars and covering the front brake is another option. And don't EVER pull in forward to a downhill parking place. Good chance of the bike rolling forward off the stand and tough to get back out. Always back into spots like that, using the grade to coast backwards while you're comfortably aboard and can support with two feet and have the front brake covered. Just some thoughts, hope they help.

S

·
0 Posts
I usually parked with my bike in 1st for the same reason you do in a Standard car. That way the bike won't be tempted to roll anywhere.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I don't know how much trouble she'd have with it, but if she can get the bike onto the center stand she might be able to spin it around on the stand. On a rough or uneven surface it's tricky and you have to keep a handle on the bike, but I use that to do quick turnarounds in the garage or other weird predicaments I get into. You just put it on the center stand, lean the weight a little more onto one side than the other, and just rotate it on the leg that has more weight. Slow and smooth and it'll come right around. Your results may vary, try it at home before doing it out and about :p.

Have you shaved the seat any? Just another way to lower her to the ground.

As for the dogbones, if you know someone (or can do it yourself), the bones for the new bikes are just two flat pieces of metal with holes drilled in them. You might even be able to just grab a pair of dogbones for another bike off ebay with the holes drilled at the proper distance and save a few bucks that way. $70 sounds like highway robbery to me, but I have the means to come up with something cheaper, so whether it's worth it is up to you.

And if you decide to cut down the front springs at all, the hardest part of the whole job was getting the clips out of the top of the forks on my '90. But I don't know the rules about shortening them, just stiffening them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd try to shave off the seat or replace it with a thinner one...and see about getting her some riding footwear that has enough of a sole so she doesn't have to tip-toe so much.

otherwise, happy modding and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
A Corbin Saddle will bring the inseam down about an inch . She's on her tip-toes , so that should be enough of a change . But , if you don't have $300 to spare the have the seat shaved and recovered .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how much would the seat shave cost me? the center stand method is out bc the full jardine system i have requires the center stand be off along with the lower fairing.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Just throwing an idead right here..

Check the ebay item # 130089781923

Maybe that will give her the extra inch she need ?

R

·
0 Posts
Frog said:
Just throwing an idead right here..

Check the ebay item # 130089781923

Maybe that will give her the extra inch she need ?
Daammmmnnn, it's 1974 all over again....

Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts