Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew my first accident would be due to mechanical failure.

1. BIKE HISTORY - Purchased with 60k miles in january. Runs on one cylinder. Myriad of issues that I have been addressing one by one.

2. HIGH SPEED ENGINE FAILURE - Saturday Feb. 3, 2:30am, going southbound on the 405 from the valley into West LA. 6th gear, full throttle. The top-speed I have achieved on the one-cylinder wonder is 105mph. Straight strecth of freeway, lane 2. Engine suddenly stops. Rear wheel locks and skids to the left, then the right. Then I feel like i'm in a tumbler, waiting for the tumbling to end. Finally I am lying face up on the freeway. Normally lying in the center of a freeway is a place I'd want to get out of quickly, but given my condition I felt others could yield to me on this occasion. I got up, saw my 89 ex500 on its side, fuming. Ambulance to my right as soon as I was able to stand.

3. AFTERMATH - Well my gloves failed me (MSR coldpro). Granted they are cold weather gloves, so I may get kevlar liners for the future. Jeans are now cut-off shorts. Chuck Taylors didn't protect my toes like the steel-toe boots will that I am waiting to be shipped to me. Army jacket got a little shredded. Helmet unscuffed. Worst injuries: third degree abrasion on palm, huge patch of road rash on right shin, deep nickel-sized gash on left knee, fractured index toe and possibly middle toe.

Well there you have it folks. This is my first accident so I don't know if Geico will pick up any of the maintenance the bike will need? Bike is junk from neglect anyhow.

P>S> Two nights prior I dreamed that my rear brake stopped working. Lo and behold two nights later, rear wheel compilcations ensued.

Final odometer reading: 60,999.

Edit: One regret is not taking a picture of the bike down in the center of the 405. Darn ambulance was there so quick didn't have a chance to snap it as it breathed its last breath.. And I will probably wear my upper body armor more often, and invest in some leg armor.

[attachment deleted by admin]

R

·
0 Posts
Ouch, those pictures are hurting me!

Least you're still up and about. And that EX lived a long life by the looks of it!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well atleast you survived ! I know I might sound like a dick BUT.... when you do F-uped things F-uped things are going to happen!!!!!! Like riding a unroad-worthy bike down the 405 at 105 mph ! No sympathy here! And to quote Forest Gump "Stupid is , as stupid does" !!! And
"Thats all I gotta say about dat".

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you got away in much better shape than what could have happened. Good luck on the mend! 8)

Makes the case for good gear though, doesn't it. Would $100 bucks for gloves seem expensive at this point? Things happen. If it hadn't been this it would have been something else another day. Got to ALWAYS be dressed for what happens when all else failed. ;) Take care of yourself. :)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
"Dress for the crash, not for the ride..."

tough luck on the bike, however it's you're own damn fault for wearing gloves designed for off-road use (not on road), jeans, Converse sneakers, and a cotton army jacket as motorcycle riding protection gear. Thank god for the helmet though. better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it i always say. perhaps this should be a positive learning experience for you. it might be expensive, but you need to buy the proper type of gear for motorcycling. textiles will not protect you in a 100+ MPH slide my friend. You need leather. Leather jacket, leather gloves, leather riding pants. for boots you DEF/ need something designed for SPORTBIKE motorcycling (not cruising or motoX). you need SPORTBIKE SPECIFIC gear bud. If wearing leather pants is simply unacceptable then for god's sakes wear some type of reinforced jeans, like Icon's or dragon jeans.

next time you may not be so lucky...

S

·
0 Posts
Motorcycle specific textiles will protect at high speeds. The only issue happens if you slide on one part for long periods (such as 100 yrds). Leather is better, but being realistic here, you should at least pic up a pair of over-pants ($100), a jacket ($80), and some leather gloves ($25-$380). Look around at sites like www.newenough.com for unbeatable prices.

As for the bike, Insurance will total it and give you money...if you have comprehensive coverage. Other wise you are going to be SOL.

I'm glad that you are alive and I hope you can gain something useful from this incident.

R

·
0 Posts
smithmax said:
Motorcycle specific textiles will protect at high speeds. The only issue happens if you slide on one part for long periods (such as 100 yrds).
My safety course instructor showed us studies that put motorcycle textiles at about 10 feet of protection from a 50 mph slide. So not too much protection, although better than jeans. (I wear textiles though myself..)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Ouch !

That just reminded me my end of season moment last year..

I feel your pain, get well soon.

And don't forget the most important part : Learn from your past mistakes

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
By the way , there is no way in hell you can do 105 mph on an EX500 or should I say a EX250 in your case with only one cylinder . I seriously doubt you could get near 80 even . With the clothing and POS bike , you should have never been on the road in the first place :mad: You could have killed someone other than yourself .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky#13 said:
By the way , there is no way in hell you can do 105 mph on an EX500 or should I say a EX250 in your case with only one cylinder . I seriously doubt you could get near 80 even .
lol

Maybe you would care to elaborate as to what the top speed of an EX500 is when running on one cylinder? (rhetorical)

Oh wait, you've never actually tried to see what the top speed of an EX500 is when running on one cylinder.

I shared my crash with people and I now am being accused of lying by someone who talks out of their ass. :D

Hey everyone! Let's listen to the guy who speaks definitively about a situation he has never been in!

Thanks for the comic relief. Not.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey if your STUPID enough to think you bike can do 105 w/one cylinder then so be it . BUT thats why your dumb ass ended up in the situation that your in now ! So whos laughing , me or you ??? If you had any brains left after your crash then you'd know that 105 is close to top speed on a well tuned EX500 with both cylinders working ! And NO I have not tried it cause I'm not that dumb ! Don't try putting off on others for your bad mistakes !

S

·
0 Posts
As far as top speed, I hit 125 the other day with a 15/42 set up...and I have a 10yr old 500 that has horribly tuned carbs.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Whatever the differences I appreciate the write-up & will now be looking for real road gloves & good leg-cover. Skin abrasions are no fun, same with lessons from the school of hard knocks.

Heal fast, keep a trustworthy bike &... I suppose we could all benefit from thinking about a locked engine requiring a fast clutch pull... yes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lucky#13 said:
If you had any brains left after your crash then you'd know that 105 is close to top speed on a well tuned EX500 with both cylinders working !
smithmax said:
As far as top speed, I hit 125 the other day with a 15/42 set up...and I have a 10yr old 500 that has horribly tuned carbs.
I am called stupid when 13 makes the false statement that 105 is close to top speed on a well-tuned ex500 running on both cylinders when clearly it is not. (As demonstrated, a poorly tuned ex500 can hit 125mph)
Unless a 20mph difference is close and well tuned means horribly tuned.

Thanks for the clutch idea MrSciTrek. That definitely would have been worth trying!...because I was skidding for short while before it started tumbling. Possibly could have saved a lot of skin

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Think whatever makes you happy ! An EX500 on one cylinder absolutely WILL NOT go 105 mph ! It's as simple as that ! If you was going 105 mph with what you call gear on , you would have had much worse injuries . But I guess you special seeing how everyone here that has had their bike messed up and running on one cylinder stated that the bike would hardley run period ! Fact is running that bike as you did was a hazard to yourself and others ! Rant on if you wish , for I'm done with you . Loss of cylinder means loss of power , AND THATS A FACT ! PEACE !

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
I suppose we could all benefit from thinking about a locked engine requiring a fast clutch pull... yes?
Yes, and very fast you need to be ;)

Unfortunately, if it's the chain that gets tangled, pulling the clutch won't help your case... So make sure the chain and sprockets are in tip top shape on every ride.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts