Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Wednesday I dropped my key outside of work. Like a fool it was my only key, and while my anger rests with another person as well I understand it was 100% my fault. This thread is not for the story, though I will put that in a spoiler, it is for the locksmith service.

I arrived at work per usual, though I put my key in my pocket instead of my helmet. Like a fool I also put my gloves in the same pocket, to remove my helmet. When I moved my gloves from my pocket to my helmet my key fell onto the sidewalk next to work without me noticing. Upon trying to leave work I noticed it missing. I called security who reviewed the tapes and our CEO found it on the ground, picked it up and placed it on one of our windowsills OUTSIDE the building (instead of turning it into security). There was some other footage reviewed and some people were questioned about the key, but nobody had it.

The only locksmith in Southern (maybe the whole state?) Maine who will work on motorcycles is Prokeys. David was amazing, and actually had my bike rekeyed before I arrived back at work. (10 minutes after he called to tell me he was available) A little pricey at $110 for two keys (quoted between $110 and $140) but he was same day service and super quick and friendly.

Fair warning to the rest of you, make a copy if you only have 1.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
102 Posts
I bought a key cutting machine because no one around here would make me spares short of a locksmith at a rate of 250.00 to my house. Now I have spares and blanks allover the stinking place.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I think we have it easier than you guys. when I lost the keys for the gen 1 after leaving it stood during the winter (later found) I removed one of the helmet brackets. took it to a auto store that made keys and asked if there was a way to have a new key made. yeah sure he said. he inserted a device into the lock. then when it was removed it had the key profile on it, then just selected a blank and cut a new key from it. cost £5 (about 7 bucks) it worked perfectly.
later I found the original key in my bike jacket I hadn't worn all winter. the keys were identical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts