Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Ninja 500r, ridden for 2 years, 6k miles, and then put away in a garage for 12 years untouched.

Replaced fuse box, cleaned carbs, cleaned petcock, cleaned air filter, changed oil, put in new gas, and it runs completely fine now.

I'm wondering what kind of maintenance the bike would need. Coolant? Brake fluid? Wheel bearings? Any bushings?

All the hoses are perfectly fine. The chain is really rusty but flexes without any issues and I couldn't find any seized sections and have no idea how I would clean it. Rear sprocket also has rust on the teeth, but no shark toothing on the sprocket whatsoever. New chain that I've been able to find was a DID 520 120 X-ring, but that's over $100. I did get some grunge brushes and a chain disconnect kit. I'm also wondering about the tires, since they're from 0751 (2007 December). They have no dry rot, no flat spots, and have no noticable wear on them either. Do they need to be replaced?

Is there anything else I might be overlooking as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'd replace the tires, old rubber can be unreliable and I'd hate for it to have a disaster.

I would change coolant and brake fluid (easy and inexpensive) and then get chain cleaner and wax for the chain. It may clean up alright.

I assume new battery?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. Was thinking the same thing about the tires but wasn't sure.

What's the purpose in changing the coolant? I get that brake fluid absorbs water and the boiling point lowers, but I'm not sure the reason for coolant. Would I just be able to check its temperature range with a tool I have or would it be better to just replace it?

I was told I could just use diesel/kerosene and engine oil for cleaner and lube respectively. If not, are there any specific products for these that I should look at?

Yea new battery, same with oil filter, just forgot to mention those.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the same mileage as you - I would recommend cleaning and greasing the uni-trak linkage in the rear suspension. You can check the unitrak o-rings and make sure they're in good shape to keep it sealed. Mine definitely needed it.

Coolant is a 2-year change because it becomes corrosive over time. It still works fine, but probably doesn't protect the metal as well.

My fork oil was OK, but dirtier than I expected. Make sure the steering bearings feel smooth left/right and tight (no play) with the front wheel off the ground.

Diesel is a good cleaner for the chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any methods for cleaning and greasing (and what cleaner/grease) unitrak?

Will definitely check out the unitrak and fork seals/oil. I think there was some dirt in the fork seals when shifting the bike around after a while, so might end up replacing those.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Take the unitrak completely apart - diagram is below. No need to remove the plastic bushings.

I used kerosene but you could use anything to dissolve grease. Then I usually wipe off parts with rubbing alcohol, but probably overkill. For grease I like basic grease with 3% moly, but probably any type of grease is fine. You could take the shock off, too, to free up the adjustment rings so it will be easier to do on the bike if you need to. Have fun!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have almost an identical situation, 2005 EX500 was ridden for almost 5k miles, then stored for 13 years. Aside from everything to get it running, regular maintenance I did was change all of the fluids (brake, oil, coolant), clean and lube the chain (mine was a bit rusty but still works well), DEFINITELY replace the tires (mine were from 2005, the original tires), clean and grease the swingarm bearings and unitrak (also called dogbone), and lube the cables. Other than that just inspect everything on the bike, check all the fasteners for tightness, etc. Both coolant and brake fluid break down even when not in use, both should be changed every 2 years or so.

Tires for motorcycles should be replaced every 3-4 years even if they aren't worn out, where as car tires you can go 6 years. As tires age they deteriorate, and won't necessarily have visible cracks or dryrot. A fresh sticky set of tires is cheap insurance compared to trying to get the most life out of the tires and having poor traction or worse, a blowout.

Personally I just put on a set of Shinko SR740/SR741 tires, you can get the pair shipped to your door for under $150, they're sticky, not expensive, and I'm happy with them. Probably won't last a long time, but I only ride a few thousand miles a year so if I get 2-3 years I'm happy. Are there better tires out there? Sure, but just get something that suits your needs and I'm sure there's a ton of tire discussion threads you can browse through if you need help deciding.

Loud pipes and sticky shoes are your best friends on motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I'd look at the maintenance list. It gives a good idea of things that need to be done, and you fit the bill for the entire list with that time frame. Obviously hose renewals and things can wait as long as you don't have any leaks or obvious cracking.

Agree with the tires, I'd risk the age in my car, but not on the bike.

If you don't have a maintenance book yet, definitely need to grab one. I photocopied my list to check of things as I went.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts