Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an hour or so to burn last night so I went out and started turning the wrenches on the bike. My gas cap was giving me fits to I lubed it really well, I took off the mufflers to either prep them for paint or store them in the corner - I haven't decided which - and I labeled all my frontal wiring and took off the fairing stay, headlight, and gauges. I have all the parts to go back with a bucket headlight, but I'm torn between that and one of the Raptor fairings.

Here's how she sits:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Mine's been at Picotte Performance garage since last Friday.. It's getting new tires, mirrors installed and a full inspection after the crash that ended last season. It should be ready to hit the road by next week, depending on the weather..(-30*C right now, but it should be around 0 at this time of the year)

The season is coming ! Cheers ! :D

R

·
0 Posts
I didn't get all the work done on my EX-500 that I planned to, but I have completed all the work I needed to do myself.

I fixed a few minor issues on it, including swapping sprockets and a new chain.

I just need to get the shop to install new brake pads and a new rear tire.

My Yamaha Vision XZ550 is coming along nicely too. We're getting close to the "cosmetic" phase once a few more mechanical issues are worked out. Have yet to actually start it either!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Haven't touched the cosmetics very much so far, aside from what's needed to be street legal..

I'm moving soon so I'm waiting to see how the budget will survive before doing anything just for looks, the important part right now is to get my commuter on the streets ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cosmetic schmosmetic, I say :p. I'm going to shoot a coat of paint on it, but I just want it to look uniform and not so much like a bike that has graphics missing.

It's good to see a couple of you guys are getting more done than I :D.

R

·
0 Posts
I'm still hoping to install my heated grips and an acessorie plug, but I'm saving my cash for more needed things like insurnace, tires and brakes. That'll be $2,500 right there...sigh.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Royson said:
I'm still hoping to install my heated grips and an acessorie plug, but I'm saving my cash for more needed things like insurnace, tires and brakes. That'll be $2,500 right there...sigh.
Those are either some really nice tires or your insurance is insane. It won't be long you'll be parking that EX and just riding the Yamaha :p.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That does look like very expensive insurance indeed..

I pay 100$/year for liability only since I have a hard time convincing myself that I need to pay as much insurance yearly that what I originally paid for the bike itself..

older bikes are better IMHO 8)

R

·
0 Posts
Insurance is 2 grand. Which is about what it would cost for any 22 year old with a motorcycle in Canada. :(

Still need to price tires and brake work. Poop

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frog said:
That does look like very expensive insurance indeed..

I pay 100$/year for liability only since I have a hard time convincing myself that I need to pay as much insurance yearly that what I originally paid for the bike itself..

older bikes are better IMHO 8)
I'm right there with you. Both my bikes are about $90 each per year. Yet another reason I can't bring myself to get a newer bike or a "true" sportbike - I have so much fun with what I've got, why pay more?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Royson said:
Insurance is 2 grand. Which is about what it would cost for any 22 year old with a motorcycle in Canada. :(

Still need to price tires and brake work. Poop
When I inquired for full coverage, I've got the 2000$ quote too (26 and Canadian too), but that's what I paid the bike.. I figured out that if I can afford 2000$ per season in insurance, I could afford a different bike every year, so I ended up asking onlyt for liability ;)

anyways, before we get warned : BTT ! ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Royson said:
I ONLY HAVE LIABILITY!
:points and laughs: ;)

That sounds like highway robbery to me. Any reason it's so high, or is that just the way it is for everyone in your area?

They know it's an EX, right?

R

·
0 Posts
Nick D said:
Royson said:
I ONLY HAVE LIABILITY!
:points and laughs: ;)

That sounds like highway robbery to me. Any reason it's so high, or is that just the way it is for everyone in your area?

They know it's an EX, right?
Yeah, it's typical. I only have one ticket on my record.

Alright, back to topic!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Royson said:
I ONLY HAVE LIABILITY!
woah, that's plain terrible.. did you checked other insurers ? ask for older models maybe ? it's probably because there's that Ninja tag on it.. I know some insurers are considering this bike a sports bike and some others consider it a learner's machine.

mines a 1990.. sorry if I can't help more :-\

R

·
0 Posts
Yup, that's my Yamaha!

2000 is typical for my age, that bike and my record (1 ticket.) Ontario insurnace rates suxxor. But what can you do. Gotta pay to play.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts