Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

My EX is going to live primarily as a track bike. To that end I'd like to have a manual petcock as I have had issues in the past with vacuum operated petcocks on bikes that I run at WOT for extended periods of time. I took my petcock apart today and it seems like it should be pretty simple to defeat the vacuum mechanism. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

My plan is to remove the spring and plunger/diaphragm from the petcock and install a new, custom gasket between the plastic spacer and petcock housing. Still using the vacuum port plate and screws to hold everything together. This will leave the port that the vacuum plunger blocks open all the time, allowing a constant flow of fuel to the carbs regardless of "manifold" vacuum. Ideally, I'll switch the petcock to off and let the bike run out of fuel or at least drain the bowls down a bit before hitting the kill switch/ignition.

Does anybody see a problem with my plan? Am I missing anything? Is there a better way to do this?

Side Note: The reserve port filter is missing. Is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would just swap it out for a non vac petcock especially as there is no screen on the reserve tube. simple one shot solution.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would just swap it out for a non vac petcock especially as there is no screen on the reserve tube. simple one shot solution.
Do you have a preferred brand or part number? Looking around it seems that manual petcocks are universal types that require some modifications to mount properly.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
hi. no part number seems every aftermarket outlet uses their own all are different for the same part. I quick measure should give the dimensions of what you need just make sure you get the shorty one (that is the one that mimics the stock one in size) they are short from the btm of the valve to the tank the reason for this is there limited room between the tank and the frame long ones do not fit with the tank in place. oh and the one I use is a Pingel valve seems very good quality equal to the stock one only no vac on it. bit pricey though.

for reference only this is the shorty type E-bay item no 164462214172.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought one on Amazon:
NEW! Gas Fuel Switch Valve Petcock Assembly for KAWASAKI EX500 NINJA 500 500R
have not installed it yet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a Pingel on/off. No reserve - simple elegant end of story. You need to use a dremel or die grinder and just widen the stock slot where the OE petcock used to reside. What Pingel sells you, is a base plate to bolt to your tank with two screws, then their petcock screws into the plate. I have had this set up for years and lots of miles, I had one of these bikes as a dedicated Light Weight Sportsman bike back in 2000's and I had a leak from the petcock diaphram during a race!

I wish I had this set up back in the day, live and learn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts