Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i were to run 110 watt headlights (2 55w bulbs) would i have any electrical problems, battery drain etc?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Naturally it would drain the battery faster than a 60W bulb. As long as the engine is running it shouldn't be much trouble. 110W/12V = 9.16A. The headlight fuse is 10A, so you are really pushing it there, and might end up frequently blowing fuses. If that happens a daring person might replace the fuse with a 12 or 15 A one, but you didn't hear that from me :D.

But first, why do you want to do this?

·
Registered
192 Posts
don't HID need adapters for our electrical harnesses? you can just pop in an H4 superwhite halogen into the stock socket... i think they are like $20?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
furyskater911 said:
don't HID need adapters for our electrical harnesses? you can just pop in an H4 superwhite halogen into the stock socket... i think they are like $20?
It's a completely different set up all together. HID Bulbs are Xenon Gas filled and have no filiments. a igniter/ballast supplies electrical current to electrodes contained within the capsule that arc and charge the gas particles to produce intense light output.

HID Setups run about $100 and last forever.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i want to buy a twin headlight setup. i can get one from a buell dealer off a lightning for like 70 bucks. way cheaper than the 140 the bike shop wants for a similar setup.

the buell lightning headlight runs 2 55w H7 bulbs. H7 bulbs are single filiment, i dunno if one light is high and one is low, or they both come on for hi...

i leave my light on hi all the time anyway, so id probably just wire them in to both be on all the time.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
dragknee => I love the looks of the dual lights from Buell.. But I never thought it would be feasible. Take picts if you can pull this one off ;D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Check on the HID's being DOT approved because I'm not sure if they are. Not that I'm knocking them at all but they just may not be strictly legal. In my area (SW Michigan) at least I don't think there would be any trouble but who knows elsewhere?

You can balance the high beam switch on the EX to have both hi and lo going at once and I have done that on occasion on a really dark country road. I'm told that it risks blowing the fuse though.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frog said:
dragknee => I love the looks of the dual lights from Buell.. But I never thought it would be feasible. Take picts if you can pull this one off ;D
yeah i dont know if it is or not... but its worth a shot. figure im gonna have to do a bit of wire splicing. and fabricating some kind of mount... i think they mount at the top and bottom, so maybe mount them at the upper fairing stay mount???

but at 80 bucks for the assembly, you cant beat that. esp. when anyplace online sells the bates style duals for at least 100 plus shipping.

i figure if they dont work, i can sell em on ebay...

but at any rate, i gotta order them from the harley dealer, and they will take a week to get here :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know on cars, HID's from the factory have a leveling system built in...which is why factory HID add-ons are so damned expensive.

The $300 HID kits for your car, don't self level...and these are the bastards at night that blind everyone, and is why so many states outlaw aftermarket HID's without self leveling systems.

I believe HID bulbs are hotter too...not sure whether this would matter on an EX headlight enclosure.

I'll say that the sylvania silverstar bulb looks better than stock bulb, and throws better light,and at least appears brighter because its a whiter light instead of yellow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts