Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered some Maxxis tires M6102+M6103.
Anyone ran those tires?
What's the impression?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Well they smell real nice, Kinda that new tire smell, ya know?

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I've seen the ads in car magazines for them but have never seen them in a "comparo" test.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
FOG said:

FOG
Kindda like the round black ones ???
Well the last time I said that , Sombody went off in a Huff.

Actually the Maxiums were reported on in all the Bike Mags. and touted to be very good. They were race Track Comparos and matched them Favorablby against the Dunlops anf Michelens.
And this forum is probably the last place that you recieve a difinitave answer to your question. Hense my Round Black one and Smelley remarks. That's the best you'll get.

FOG

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
FOG said:
Lucky#13 said:
FOG said:

FOG

Actually the Maxiums were reported on in all the Bike Mags. and touted to be very good. They were race Track Comparos and matched them Favorablby against the Dunlops anf Michelens.
And this forum is probably the last place that you recieve a difinitave answer to your question. Hense my Round Black one and Smelley remarks. That's the best you'll get.

FOG
Gotcha :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
For dirtbikes locally maxxis is the cheapest thing you can get. Though they don't appear to be all that bad, just wear a little fast. But thats not much of an example to go off of.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
luke said:
For dirtbikes locally maxxis is the cheapest thing you can get. Though they don't appear to be all that bad, just wear a little fast. But thats not much of an example to go off of.
Same thing for mountain bike riders 'round here

·
Registered
230 Posts
FarFetched said:
I've ordered some Maxxis tires M6102+M6103.
Anyone ran those tires?
What's the impression?
FOG said:
FOG
The tires Fog is referring to are the SuperMaxx M6029 radials and they did indeed receive favorable reports from the Bike Mags.

The Promaxx M6102-03 tires that FarFetched is inquiring about are low priced bias ply tires and are quite different from the SuperMaxx tires. I've not personally tried the Promax but a few that did on the gstwins forum reported very favorably on their performance but said their life was rather short. Similar to what luke and Frog reported on the Maxxis dirtbike and mountain bike tires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FOG said:
Lucky#13 said:
FOG said:

FOG

FOG
I've read your posts before LOL. I know you like sarcasm and what not. That is fine, kinda different! ::)
I run DHRs on my Stiky (downhill) and love them. Grippy and stable!
Well, I will see. The origianl lasted almost 7000 miles with somewhat agressive riding. I got deep scrapes on both sides of the lower cowling from hugging corners! ;D
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I don't yet have an opinion one way or the other, I just wanted to throw out there that I find it funny that people warn about extreme danger and the like when you call them Cheng Shin tires, but when they print Maxxis on the side instead no one seems to think a thing about it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Nick D said:
I don't yet have an opinion one way or the other, I just wanted to throw out there that I find it funny that people warn about extreme danger and the like when you call them Cheng Shin tires, but when they print Maxxis on the side instead no one seems to think a thing about it.
Ahhh yes, marketing.

Have a product but no market for it. Create a need by appealing to emotions (usually).
Have a good product with a name that is unsavory or negative... just change the name.
(Want a nice dogfish sandwich? No? How about some fish & Chips? OK, then.) ::)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Actually Cheng Shin bought the Yokahama motorcycle tire manufacturing facility, which brought them up to par with the big names. They decided to market the tires under a new name, so not to carry any old baggage.
Guess who is the parent company of Toyo Tire... have you guessed it yet?

Cheng Shin has been the tire of the east for many many many years. They know how to make a tire.
They got a bad name in the west because of their OEM tires... you know the ones the bike manufacturer spec'ed out. The CHEAPEST crap money can buy.
Their after market tires have always been at least decent, sometime good, but ALWAYS the best bang for your buck.

Oh yeah, at one time Cheng Shin used chimney soot to colour the rubber. It would come off on your hands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts