Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 500 is f-in up on me and theres this deal on a 96 zx600 at the shop, just wondering whats your opinions on the bike? It only has 11000k miles on it and it looks pretty good for 3 grand I might be able to get it down another 500 or so.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Smoky said:
Well my 500 is f-in up on me and theres this deal on a 96 zx600 at the shop, just wondering whats your opinions on the bike? It only has 11000k miles on it and it looks pretty good for 3 grand I might be able to get it down another 500 or so.
I dunno 11 million miles is a bit past the average life spann don't you think? (11,000K =11,000,000)

FOG

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oops only 11k

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FOG said:
I dunno 11 million miles is a bit past the average life spann don't you think? (11,000K =11,000,000)

FOG
Bahaha! I didn't even notice that.

If the bike's in good shape I'd think $3000 is a good deal. 11K miles on a '96 is pretty much nothing. According to Kelley Blue Book a '98 is expected to have around 30700 miles and the '96 should retail at $3235.

What are the plans for the EX? 2nd bike? Fix and sell?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eh not sure I'll probably fix it if I can actually figure out whats wrong

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no thread yet but I did pm fog but I don't think he gives a crap, well I was riding down the highway and the tack started jumping around then the idle became low and ruff and it quit. I limped it back to school but I still needed to get home and it started right back up. I got about 2 miles and it started doing it again I wasn't giving it much gas trying to keep the rpm low because it wouldn't accelerate well then the idle went down again I pulled in the clutch is sorta recovered but wasn't smooth when it finally smoothed out I started to go and I went all of 30 feet and then nothing. I had to be towed home. I already figured out that the head gasket is leaking but what would cause the tack to jump around?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
If you don't recieve a direct reply from me, it could mean : I don't know, You haven't said anything that means anything, Or I just don't give a crap.

FOG

·
Registered
549 Posts
Smoky said:
no thread yet but I did pm fog but I don't think he gives a crap,
Smoky, if you have a technical issue I'd be better to start a thread in the troubleshooting or engine section. There are a lot of guys here that may be able to help troubleshoot. Just because FOG often is the one to help, it's not very considerate to slam him because he doesn't respond to your question. This is a volunteer community.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
just a general note on this subject. There are a few fellows on the list these days, that either due to extream newbisim or complete lack of any mechanical skills whatever, fail to explain exactly what their problem is. Until I see a few replies and get a better understanding of what they are trying to say . I refrain from guessing. That's not my job. If you take my failure to make willy nilly suggestions as a personal affront then so be it.

FOG

·
Registered
146 Posts
From what I understand the headgasket on these is a non compressing material and only the paint compresses. Therefore something is wrong with your head or the ?block?. I'm not quite sure what it would be refered to...as I've yet to tear down a motorcycle engine but have done car/truck motors. Either the gasket is broken or you've got a warped head or again ?block?. From what i've been reading on here with such issues is that you must lap the head and ?block? to create a nice even surface and maybe if your gasket is messed up you may need a new one. Coolant flowing into you cylinders because of a warped head would make the bike run like ****.

Maybe it ran better because for some reason because alot of coolant wasn't flowing. Then it started to again, then not...and so on and so on. I've had a little experience with blown headgaskets and warped heads on an old car of mine. It kind of reacted the same way but for a very short amount of time as the coolant was gone and then just completely died.(blew up)...haha. That could be your culpret.

As I said before I have yet to tear down one of these engine so I'm not sure how viable that could be but I would say there is a chance that is what caused it. Those of you with actual knowledge of this specific engine please feel free to correct all the many incorrect things I've said(as I'm sure the whole thing could be).

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
I'm not picking on BHD here but his reply is just the sort of blind guessing I was referring to above.
the only thing I can glean from Smokey's statments is . "the tach jumping" this indicated an interuption in the current to the electrical system. The low voltage current . SO I would look at the Igniotion switch anf the Kill switch as well as all the ground connections.

Best I can do .

FOG

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tach jumping around would indicate an electrical problem. Maybe you also have a head gasket problem but that is a separate issue. Tach gets its signal from one of the coils so go upstream from there - check sidestand switch and related safety circuit, key switch, kill switch, battery, and CDI box. If the CDI is bad get one on e-bay since the dealer wants about $400 for this part.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Haha FOG.  I did the blind guess so you didn't have to.  There could be a damn chipmunk in one of his cylinders causing the problem and that is pretty much the point.  It's said that I really don't ever reply to people problems short of the ones i've had with the bike and fixed but I have already started to feel that, search and know the problem you need fixed thing.  Maybe it's from the years I spent on car/truck forums prior to moving to motorcycles but it is annoying.  Unfortunitly I find the search feature on alot of forums kind of crappy and it's hard to find answers to questions I have.  Therefore I end up asking some questions that would be found if I used the exact word spelled exactly the same.  I've found searching for sprocket brings up 0 threads but searching for sprockets bring up like 20.  Perhaps that is something that can't be changed or can be....to aid in the newbie life.  Oh well.  I'm sure this guy will end up figuring out what's wrong or just sell off the bike to someone cheap so they luck out and fix it and got a great bike for a dirt cheap price.

P.S. Certain people will say tach jumping when it's not really jumping. The motor is dieing(drops) then kicks back in(goes back up) some people will refer to as jumping. That isn't really jumping. I've never had a tach jump but I have had speedo's jump before....haha. Talk about crazy. Was going like 65 and it dropped to 10 for awhile...then up to 120 and then to nothing. I drove it like that for awhile...after turning off the car and starting it again it never had the problem. That's what I like to call a gremlin who's just passing by.

·
Registered
722 Posts
were the engine revs matching the tach jumps or was it just the gauge jumping and the engine revs stayed the same?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks thats what I pretty much wanted to know how the tack opperates, and no it was pretty much doing a full sweep on the dial at 65 mph rather quickly thats about when it began to run badly as if its only on one cyl then it smoothed out but I could only go a few feet and it began to do the same thing again until I couldn't start it any more. After I got home I hooked it up to the charger and it fired right up sounded fine idled good so I let it go for a while until it stumbled, and thats how I left it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Maybe check the voltage on your battery with the bike off and then the bike on? I guess it could be a dead cell causing a voltage drop.

Per the usual I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong and then find the solution :p.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Do anything on that ZX? You didn't say if you were going to hack it out with the EX or get the ZX (or something else) anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet my funding is a bit short with building my car in all, but I'll probably end up fixing the ex.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts