Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, great to see you again so soon. so a little while back one of my starter rotor bolts backed out and I didn't realize it until I shaved the freakin things top off... I dealt with the loose bolt, but many rides later It hit me like a truck one day and I went to check my oil. Sure enough I noticed a decent amount of really tiny metallic flakes in my oil so I figured I did a big no-no...

Where I'm at now is I've drained all the oil that I can and it's getting ready for new oil and filter. I've loctited those darn rotor bolts. I just am wondering what to do about the metal bits in the oil that are still in the bike. Is there some sort of way to flush the system? Should I bump up the frequency at which I do oil changes for the next few changes?

Noob DIY mechanic here so I really don't know the severity of this. I absolutely love this bike and really hope i didnt biff it up too bad cause I may not have the cash for whats required.
Thanks for reading! I tried to make a video, but on YouTube the quality took a dump after upload.
pictures below. Let me know what you guys think.👇❤🥷

Brown Amber Liquid Formation Soil

Brown Amber Liquid Tints and shades Metal

Rim Bicycle part Composite material Wood Auto part

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,609 Posts
I wouldn't use any type of Motor Flush. Motor Flush isn't meant for that type of cleaning anyway. The oil change you just did got the majority of the metal out, the oil filter should stop any remaining metal left in the ~12% of the oil that won't drain. You can always do another quick oil change if it puts your mind at ease, but I wouldn't say that's even necessary.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't use any type of Motor Flush. Motor Flush isn't meant for that type of cleaning anyway. The oil change you just did got the majority of the metal out, the oil filter should stop any remaining metal left in the ~12% of the oil that won't drain. You can always do another quick oil change if it puts your mind at ease, but I wouldn't say that's even necessary.
Hey bpe thanks for replying. That's more or less what I'm getting from other sites and forums too.
Makes me feel a lot better!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Get a magnetic oil drain plug. Titanium magnetic plugs are only about $20 or so, and carbon steel even less. They will pick up some of the residual. I installed one in mine after a cam lobe ate a rocker.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a magnetic oil drain plug. Titanium magnetic plugs are only about $20 or so, and carbon steel even less. They will pick up some of the residual. I installed one in mine after a cam lobe ate a rocker.
Yeah I've heard of those before, thanks, I will look into that!

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Filled her up with oil today and plopped a filter on.
Back on the road. Also reupholstered my busted up seat while it was sitting. Thank you everyone that checked my post out.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I wondered why a Ti drain plug, but Ti is non-magnetic, so more of the magnets attraction is left for any shavings(?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts