Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one that you probably don't hear of everyday. I took my carbs off for the winter, today I went out to my barn where I keep my bike. To make a long story short it looks like a mouse was living inside the intake, these little buggers seem to live anywhere they can but I never would have imagined in the engine. How can I clean all the stuff out that he left behind? If I blow it with compressed air it'll go deaper into the engine, I don't have a vacuum that I can use either. Any ideas??

S

·
0 Posts
Matches/WD-40?

If you have a Shop Vac that might be a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have heard off mice doing a whole lotta things before to bike like eating seat , wires , etc.. But I have NEVER heard this one . I have no idea what to tell you .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pick up your bike and hit the end of it like a ketchup bottle. Seriously though, I don't think it would hurt to flush it out with gas. Unless they brought particles/pieces of crap into it. Or their is a dead one in there it shouldn't be much of a problem if you can flush it out with something that won't attack or rust the inside. Just a thought.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alright heres the mcguyver way... if you have a leaf blower the side is a suction unit... take a piece of 4'' pvc pipe cut down to about 18'' to the end of that, get a downsized neck to a 2'' outlet and gentlemen start your blower place it up to your intake and it will suction it all up and out the other end be hopeful there is no dead mouse in it or else your blower might now like you after that. I know it sounds mcguyver ish but hey its an idea! LOL

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, if i had a leaf blower i'd try it. there seems to be lots of little seads and **** around the engine so no telling what's in there

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome to country living.

Take the engine apart. You're lucky, it's only a twin. Careful cleaning is what's called for. In the future, block the engine off so this doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Find a really small python...

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I know mice, there is gonna be piles of mouse droppings as far in as you could imagine, the only way you're gonna get it all out properly is to clean the whole thing like Lacessit said, and anytime you have the carbs off it;s a good idea to plugg up the holes with some good clean rags, even if you're just doing temporary work. I think I actually heard of a problem not so dissymilar from this once though.

R

·
0 Posts
I've actually seen the photo's of a guy's bike engine after he started it up in the spring to discover the mouse was still INSIDE the bike at the time....it's not pretty...I'll leave that to your imagination or a google search :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
spider_kyle said:
If I know mice, there is gonna be piles of mouse droppings as far in as you could imagine...
Yep.. all you can do is learn from your mistake.

..anytime you have the carbs off it;s a good idea to plugg up the holes with some good clean rags, even if you're just doing temporary work...
Clean rags won't keep mice out; just dirt, dust and some bugs. Clean rags are only a short term solution. Both bugs and mice will tear the rags up, with the mice using it as part of their nest.

Your best bet for blocking long term is to take a piece of wood or sheet metal, drill some holes to match the carb mounting bolts, cover the inside with a clean cloth, and bolt it on in place of the carbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts