Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding yesterday and was almost at my destination when a misfire suddenly started. I had barely any power, couldn't get much rpm built up either. I'm not sure if it's directly related but it seemed like I was smelling gas, but I didn't find any leaks. It had fairly full gas and I had just poured some fuel treatment in (the gas station didn't have any) that day. It was running completely fine and happened suddenly, but the engine didn't start excessively shaking or anything. I can try to upload a video of need be of the sound.
I'm looking into spark plugs and trying to find the correct part numbers and place to get it. What are some other things to check? At least before I decide to just take it back to the shop.

·
Registered
19,638 Posts
Just poured some fuel treatment in………hummm. I wonder if……

Fog

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just poured some fuel treatment in………hummm. I wonder if……

Fog
I've used it before without problem though. About every other tank I pour some treatment in with full up. Also, it was sudden, there was no buildup. I cleaned the carb a few months ago.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, first check your plugs. If one (or both) look "wet" that cylinder is not firing for whatever reason. It could be an ignition issue, or a sudden blockage in the air/fuel system. M

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, first check your plugs. If one (or both) look "wet" that cylinder is not firing for whatever reason. It could be an ignition issue, or a sudden blockage in the air/fuel system. M
That's what I was thinking. My first thought was electrical and I planned to check all the wires to see if one of them is bad when I check the spark plugs. Always do the easy stuff first as I hear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I finally had time to get the bike apart and... my spark plug cap fell apart after I pulled it. So new NGK resistor cap is on the way.

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
some pre-issue maintenance overlooked, perhaps?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some pre-issue maintenance overlooked, perhaps?

I'm a more recent owner of the bike, I came here and posted about it before I had gotten around to getting under the hood to look since I had both bad weather and a full schedule.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts