Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any other Minnesota riders on the forum? The weather is looking great for next week! I think that if it stays that way the bike is coming out of storage. I'm in downtown Minneapolis. I explored the cities last summer, so I'm looking to venture out into the country more this year and take in the sights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey i live down in lakeville just south of the citys. I am new a rider and i have yet to find a cool spot to ride. Got any tips?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to ride around Lake Minnetonka and the surrounding area. There's lots of nice backroads around there. In the city, the parkways along the Mississippi are nice for low speed cruising, as are the Grand Rounds. The highways in western Wisconsin are nice. If you're looking for routes or people to ride with, check out mnsbr.com. Lots of cool people over there!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got my bike last fall and don't have it road-ready yet but hope to by early spring this year to go exploring. I live out in delano (about 30 mins west of minneapolis, along hwy 12 [394])

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I love Minneapolis! My sister has lived there since the sixties, so I get to visit every once and and a while. She now lives in Bloomington but is moving to N. CA soon, so i guess my visiting days are numbered. There is allot to do in the city. I think it is one of the best metro areas in the country, as far as stuff to do and all types of food.
I will have to admit that I don't miss some of the winters, but you get used to it.

Just watch out for the I35 bridges :'(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey! Just got my 89 Kawi ex500 and will be up for a meet. I am actually looking for some help with getting the bike running right. So if anyone could help me out i will provide some food and beer ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Should be picking up my 2001 ninja 500 this Sunday. This will be my first bike and I can't wait to start riding it.

Taking the BRC at the end of April but I have my permit now. It's nice to know that their are local people that I maybe able to ride with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its starting to get warm out here in the cities I'm starting to get the itch, I cant wait to get my bike out from storage although it looks like this whole week is going to be pretty cruddy where weather is concerned. Solo where are you riding out of? I personally am out of the northwest suburbs (Brooklyn Center to be exact).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm from St. Paul.
Yea the weather is looking bad for the rest of the week and weekend but hopefully it'll be ok Sunday when I go pick up the bike. I will be using a trailer to get it to a buddies house.

I'm going to be needing some new tires and maybe a good tuneup, any tips on where to go and how much it will cost me? I can most likely do the oil/filter change myself but I kind of want the carbs cleaned and tuned too. The original owner that I am buying this from hasn't done any of this since owning it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cant really help personally I have only had my bike since July of last summer so I have had nearly zero experience working on it. The place that I bought my bike and had it's first service is called Hitching Post Motorsports. There is one near me in Fridley and I know there is one in South St. Paul. In my minimal dealings with them they seemed to be on top of things and so far I don't have any complaints so that could be a place to start looking. You would probably be able to find reviews on that shop and others elsewhere online and that might give you a better indication on the quality of work and the prices they charge. But any questions you have can almost all be answered on this forum....lots of good info on here.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey guys I'm out of Eagan. I was actually planning on ripping into my carbs this week. My neighbor has graciously offered to walk me through it. He claims carbs are simple (they intimidate the **** outa me) especially on this bike. But anyway you guys should get in on the North American Pass off... looks like a lot of fun. Hope to see you on the roads. Maybe we could all meet up and take a ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea I've checked out the hitching post in south stp. the other week before I bought my bike. I'll probably give them a ring about tune ups and tires sometime this week or next. I know more about working on cars but have never worked on anything with carbs on it. I used to work for the auto parts stores and if the carbs on the motorcycles look anything like the one on the cars, there are tons of tiny parts on them.
The North American pass sounds like fun, just started to reading it now.

P.S. My buddy lives in Eagan and he just bought a BMW K1200rs motorcycle thats what made me want to ride.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ended up that my neighbor was busy. So I rebuilt them my self. It really was a simple task!!... worst part was getting all the cables off and then later putting them back in the bike. If you like I would be happy to give you a hand... It only took my about 30 minutes per side, and then another 30 to put the bike back together.

I have always been a firm believer in doing work my self whenever possible. This way you know the workings of the engine, and can diagnose issues in a hurry and for free.

BTW. Next project is valve adjustment. Again I have all the tools, and the walk-through's on the wiki section are excellent. PM me if you want some help. My garage is available, and there is beer in the fridge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know for sure that I will prob. need a carb cleaning, valve adjustment and maybe even carb. sync. I just picked up the bike this past Sunday and the owner said he hasn't done any of that to the bike since owning it 15k miles on it now. When I have some time I just make take you up on that offer for the help in cleaning it. I notice also my chain was loose and it jerked a bit when I was driving it so I ordered a new oem kit that included sprockets and chain and a fresh set of tires that should be coming in hopefully next week, just another task I would have to try and tackle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
all possible to do with out paying a shop.... sorry I am kinda a cheap bastard and hate paying for something I am fully capable of doing myself. Although mounting tires might be worth paying somebody to do. I would hate to not get them balanced right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea i would prefer to work on my bike myself too but need to get a manual for it. I will prob. change the chain and sprocket myself but will prob. have to pay to get the tires put on, balanced, and aligned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts