Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone here ride without a mirror(s)? i had one of mine broken last year, but superglued it up until now, well it broke off again. needless to say, i am considering running with just one mirror (my left) i was wondering if anyone knows the general law of having or not having a mirror on a bike......also scooby and anyone western pa, around pittsburgh, etc. does anyone have an old right mirror collecting dust if mirrors are required.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very good research, thanks for the link........turn signals are not required in pa, that doesn't sound right. also, ouch, two mirrors are required in pa, so i will hafta try superglue until i get a new right mirror. all surrounding states require one :(.......ohio, new york, west virginia, virginia, new jersey....that blows

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Pittsburgh Ninja said:
very good research, thanks for the link........turn signals are not required in pa, that doesn't sound right. also, ouch, two mirrors are required in pa, so i will hafta try superglue until i get a new right mirror. all surrounding states require one :(.......ohio, new york, west virginia, virginia, new jersey....that blows
what year is your bike ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2004.........basically i would like to get a right used mirror from someone that totalled their bike or upgraded and have the old/stock one. i can get i think two new zx6 mirros for 20 bucks and like 15-20 bucks shipping, but i don't really wanna spend more than 10-15 bucks on the right. if need be, i'll just get two new ones and get the zx6 mirrors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do the ZX6 mirrors replace the stocks without any modifications? And do they have a longer stem for better viewing of what's behind you?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Pittsburgh Ninja said:
all surrounding states require one :(.......ohio, new york, west virginia, virginia, new jersey....that blows
you forgot delaware, which requires two. ;)

i know in ohio you only have to have one on your car, on the left side.

i use my mirrors to a certain extent, but i ALWAYS turn my head and look before i change lanes.

C

·
0 Posts
xtxn said:
Do the ZX6 mirrors replace the stocks without any modifications? And do they have a longer stem for better viewing of what's behind you?
They do indeed! They are about an inch lower, an inch wider and they make the "face" of the bike look much better, IMO:

-CCinC

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those do look much better. I will have to look for some mirrors now. Do most of you buy them from the dealer or ebay?

·
Registered
381 Posts
If the zx6r mirror works, then the gsxr mirror should work also. I know people who put them on their zx6r to see better. That is about another inch longer then the zx6r.

C

·
0 Posts
xtxn said:
Those do look much better. I will have to look for some mirrors now. Do most of you buy them from the dealer or ebay?
You can either buy them from a dealership or you can buy them aftermarket from Emgo. The Emgo's are much cheaper and they look nearly identical, BUT you get what you pay for. The stock mirrors seem to vibrate less.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the EMGO's on my bike and if the stock kawi mirrors vibrate less then these do then wow, cuz mine barely vibrate at all. NinjaPit take a look at that law again. Call someone too, I work with a couple guys that have only 1 mirror and they have been told it is fine.

Really i think you could ride, most police aren't going to harrass you over just having 1 mirror especially since u are going to be replacing it soon anyways

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jkrup47 said:
I have the EMGO's on my bike and if the stock kawi mirrors vibrate less then these do then wow, cuz mine barely vibrate at all. NinjaPit take a look at that law again. Call someone too, I work with a couple guys that have only 1 mirror and they have been told it is fine.

Really i think you could ride, most police aren't going to harrass you over just having 1 mirror especially since u are going to be replacing it soon anyways
the only website i can find anything so far has been ama's database of all states, they say two. it sucks because i have work this weekend and saturday it's supposed to be close to 65 and sunday close to 70........granted i am getting a new one if lucky's new ones fit. not sure how they would like that as an excuse if they pulled me over for having one mirror.

i found one or two websites......one was the pa safety course one i think, but regulations were dated back to 2005. anyways it said rearview mirror and had a bullet as required, but if you need a left it says bullet and 10, if you need both it says bullet and 11, so i take that as you only need one. this won't be a problem in about 7-10 days, but many of the days are gonna be real nice, and my car is a p.o.s.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i wouldn't be too sure. its the first good riding day in a while so they maybe pulling you over for any old thing. Sometimes just to check if you have motorcycle license.

·
Registered
46 Posts
calamarichris said:
You can either buy them from a dealership or you can buy them aftermarket from Emgo. The Emgo's are much cheaper and they look nearly identical, BUT you get what you pay for. The stock mirrors seem to vibrate less.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC
Agree on the Emgo's, they are usually $20, vs $80 for OEM ZX6 mirrors (at least from my $tealership). I have Emgo's and don't mind em...better view and less ugly than factory

but considering you glued your last mirror on, these might be fine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the one mirror wonder......

left side of bike, my duct tape/sticker patch chop. it's all cracked there from a drop the first couple weeks i had it....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts