Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a cheng shin himax rear tire last year. (I know, I know) Anyway, now that it's time to replace the front, I can't decide if I want a matching cheng shin on the front, or go with the kenda k671. The kenda looks pretty nice and aggressive. Would it buy unwise to mix these two tires? I bought the rear cheng shin because that's what was on the bike when I got it and they always seemed to perform alright for my riding style, and they're cheap. ;) So what would you guys do? Get a matching cheng shin, or the better kenda front tire?

·
Registered
221 Posts
However cheap the tire, some thought, design and testing has gone into making the front and rear work well together.
Stick with one brand. If you want a change to a "better" tire, (rounder,blacker) switch both.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
The Cheap Shins and the Kendra Go together like Chop suey and egg roll.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You guys are hurting me with this talk of ShinnyChinns Kendo crap, of course they go well together because they both suck :eek:......bad place to save money is in the traction department as far as i am concerned. Might as well look for some very cheap brake pads and a chinese drive chain too.... ;D
I feel better on my $50 retreads i have on.... ;D

www.cycletires.com/t3.htm

·
Registered
184 Posts
+1

Wait until you can buy some good rubber and replace them both. Hell, is Motorace still selling those pilot race for like $129 shipped?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good suggestions, I really like the egg roll and chop suey comment. I would wait and replace them both, but the front tire is dry rotted and cracking on the sidewalls, while the rear probably has less than 1000 miles on it. I just don't think I push the bike hard enough to warrant $130 tires. Mostly it's just 5 miles back and forth to work and the occasional weekend joyride. That said, would you go with the matching cheng shin himax on the front?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know. I don't push either of my bikes hard enough on the street to really warrant the SuperCorsas or the Pilot Powers, but if Sally Soccer mom does some dumb **** in front of me I'd feel much better with quality rubber under me than some cheap crap I saved a few bucks on. That may just be me though. ???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Point taken with the sally soccermom. Hey fog, what's up with the chop suey comment? I thought round and black were what you recommended. ;D

·
Registered
47 Posts
FOG said:
The Cheap Shins and the Kendra Go together like Chop suey and egg roll.

FOG
MWAHAHA

now thats some funny ****

as for round and black ones...when they gonna make colored tires? :eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
So if I don't put the stickiest tire possible on then I'm being unsafe? If it comes down to that, then I guess we need to find out what the best handling bike is and crush the rest, while only running the stickiest tires possible, even of they only last 1,000 miles.

I'm sure that, even with Kendas or CS tires, we are doing much better than a Gold Wing or chopper... And keep in mind, you don't always get what you pay for...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not saying that you have to put race rubber on there, but IMO the extra $40-$60 for Michelin/Pirelli/Dunlop is money well spent. I don't even know if the cheng shins are really that bad for a street only tire, but for me I'm buying peace of mind and trust.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Well so far so good but only had em on for about 2 months...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
kevin said:
as for round and black ones...when they gonna make colored tires? :eek:
They do have round black one that turn in color ;)

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Well the truth is: Tires are only black because they make them black. Without coloring (any) they would be a mottled grey to almost white. The color dosn't inhance the handling or wear. it just colors em.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
FazerDude said:
So if I don't put the stickiest tire possible on then I'm being unsafe?
We didn't say that, we said putting the worse tire on was maybe a bad idea.

Bike cans stop incredibly fast with decent rubber and good pads, I would skimp on the type of motor oil before i would on those two items, i can get a motor off ebay cheap but if i need to stop 5 feet short of where some crappy tires would slide too so i don't get t-boned by a car that just ran a light, thats worth the extra money to me.

(on another note, some race teams run my Tomahawk retreads by the way)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts