Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i go out this morning to move my bike since they are fixin to work on the parking lot and my tire is just flat! i noticed on monday the last few feet felt really odd and squirmy. i was in a hurry and hopped off and never gave it a 2nd thought. so sure enough i have a big honkin puncture in my rear tire thats less than 3000mi old. i was wanting to get new better tires, but not untill these wore out!

so insted of buying a new OEM rear i was thinking of going with something like PP's in a 150. would it be a bad thing to keep the stocker up front? its gonna cost me another $50 just for the change, not to mention another $100+ for a new front to replace a tire thats still in good shape. am i asking for trouble here? im not about to put myself in danger by cheapskating my way out, but if its not that big of a deal id rather not have to replce them both right now.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Here's a case where being a cheap bastard will keep you out of trouble. You'll never spring for one of those High Priced Radial sport bike tires. Most likley the CHeap Shins or JC Witney specials, which will match your front just fine.

Read my tire thread in the FAQ section.

FOG

·
Registered
230 Posts
CHeap Shins or JC Witney specials, the round black ones. :)

If you want an inexpensive $50-60 Chinese tire, get something like the Maxxis Promaxx or Kenda 671 for the rear. They are as good as the OEM Excedra front and should wear out about the same time the front does and you can get a pair of the better tires then. I wouldn't ride to the corner store on some of the really cheap Cheng Shins like the Street Sharks or Rim Savers.

Or upgrade the rear a bit with something like a $100 Sport Demon or less expensive $75 Avon Roadrider in a 140/70 size. I wouldn't put a 150 size PP rear on with an Excedra front, wait till you get a pair to do it, if ever.

My son bought an older low milage GS750 a couple years ago that had a new $20 Cheng Shin front put on it by the seller. Got a flat at 70 mph on the freeway and by the time he got off a bridge the front tire came loose from the rim and he went over the side and ended up with another broken collar bone and he's one of the best riders I've ridden with in my 350k miles of riding.

·
Registered
267 Posts
thor=gsJack link=topic=2524.msg28560#msg28560 date=1182436265]

My son bought an older low milage GS750 a couple years ago that had a new $20 Cheng Shin front put on it by the seller. Got a flat at 70 mph on the freeway and by the time he got off a bridge the front tire came loose from the rim and he went over the side and ended up with another broken collar bone and he's one of the best riders I've ridden with in my 350k miles of riding.

[/quote]

Most of the GS750's had spoked wheels... I would more likely suspect that the installer tightened up the valve stem in the inner-tube before the tire was mounted properly and it caused the tube to shred as opposed to it being a bad tire. If the case was that it was truly a bad tire, there'd be more reports of that happening, I would assume. Since the tire was just recently replaced, it was probably due to a crummy install--spoked wheel or not.
I've got a ChengShen on the rear of my 360 and a Dunlop 404 on the front... I really do like that ChengShen-- I've definitely scraped pegs and been on the side-wall of the tire on that 360-- I can only barely get up near the sidewall on the 500.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It was a 80 GS500E with cast wheels, but it did have a tube in it. Some of the early cast wheels were a bit pourous and owners put tubes in them. I saw the tube and it had a simple puncture in it on the OD and was not shreaded and the valve stem area was intact. A simple flat tire. One of CS's cheapest and it came loose from the rim too easily.

My point to the poster was to get one of the better Cheng Shin tires and not the cheapest they make and sell here if one must use them. Can't expect a $20-25 tire to be the equal of a $50-60 tire from the same maker. You didn't mention what kind of Cheng Shin tire you have on the old CB360 rear or how you ride it, I've known people that liked some of the old CS tire line. Tires like the Barracuda V, Hi-Max, or Marquis which were their better tires. The newer Maxxis tires produced by CS for our market are actually rather good tires.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi-Max. I ride that 360 hard, I push that sucker exactly how you shouldn't push a 30+ year old bike.
I didn't know CS made anything below the Hi-Max.
I was looking into the Maxxis and the Avons, but I couldn't find any info about them at the time-- a friend of mine suggested the CS even though I'd never heard of them-- I've grown quite fond of the CS tire. My dad's got one on the rear of his CB550 and it seems pretty good too, even for an old tire.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
This thread confirms what I've been saying all along.... Round Black ones.

FOG

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so where is a good place online to get tires? i checked americanmototire.com they seem pretty reasonable. i think ill be goin with the avons.

·
Registered
230 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts