Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tire is going to need to be replaced soon and I was looking at the Metzler Lazertec. I'm currently running a Bridgestone BT45 on the back and a Bridgestone Exedra on the front (original tire). The Kawasaki dealer did not recommend doing this. They said stick with the BT45 or go back to the Exedra (both Bridgestones). The tires are stock sizes. I still don't really understand why you can't mix tires. And I don't mean mixing bias and radial. Are the Lazertec's going to run longer than the BT45's? Suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
it's best to stick with the same tire makes on the front and back. see FOG tire write up in the FAQ section.

with that said, I have an exedra on the front and a kenda on the back, both are bias ply and ran fine together. Many people have mixed tires, but it's not the wisest thing to do. After I heal up and replace my helmet I do plan on getting a kenda front to match the rear, just for safties sake.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Go to the FAQ section and read about tires.

FOG

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only 110/70/17 and 130/70/17 BT45 tires that Bridgestone currently makes are the G spec tires that come as OEM on the 2004 and later GS500F models. If the dealer is trying to sell you a 130/70/17 BT45 that is not a G spec, check the date code on it first, it's probably old stock.

My 02 GS500 came with an Excedra front and a Kenda rear with about 4500 miles on the bike. Wasn't that bad a mix but I replaced them the next spring with Avon AV45/46 sport touring radials.

I put a 150/70 rear Lasertec on that bike later and ran it with an Avon AM51 front for about 800 miles till I put a Lasertec front on with it. Ran fine together and was a big improvement over the AM52 rear I removed. I wouldn't hesitate to put a Lasertec rear on with an existing Excedra front but do hesitate to suggest tire mixing to others with no idea of their riding experience or intended use of the mix. Got 10k miles from that rear Lasertec.

As far as mixing bias and radial tires goes, a radial rear with a bias front can be a good mix but a radial front with a bias rear can be a bad mix and is actually illegal in the UK. Metzeler's current suggested tire fitment for the new Bonnies is a bias Lasertec front with a Z2 radial rear. :)

After over 120k miles on the GSs, my current and so far favorite tires are a bias Lasertec front with a radial RoadAttack rear. Your usage and needs may vary:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/jcp8832/GS500tirelog.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lochlyn Deckard said:
My rear tire is going to need to be replaced soon and I was looking at the Metzler Lazertec. I'm currently running a Bridgestone BT45 on the back and a Bridgestone Exedra on the front (original tire). The Kawasaki dealer did not recommend doing this. They said stick with the BT45 or go back to the Exedra (both Bridgestones). The tires are stock sizes. I still don't really understand why you can't mix tires. And I don't mean mixing bias and radial. Are the Lazertec's going to run longer than the BT45's? Suggestions? Thanks.
[/color]
I once had a Kenda on Front & a BT 45R on rear & found it harder to get front down early on corners,though once forced in the rear toed the line well,when the older Front Kenda wore out i got a front Bt 45 FG to go with the old rear & found that it then had more sport like handling & i could get down sooner (hope this helps) [,i don't know if anyone else has had this kind of experience ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts