Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody modify their stock exhaust? i.e. drill it out...or shorten it? I saw some posts about it on another site once but now for the life of me I can't remember where. Wouldn't mind a little louder but not necessarily a completely new exhaust.

I know there's a few threads about it on the SV650 Riders forum. I was just wondering if anyone here modified their exhaust.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Mine are completely gutted. The P.O. uglied one up trying to do the task, so when I got it I just finished the job. The only truly removable parts are the perforated baffle tube that you can slide out with a little work, and the actual baffle material (coarse fiberglass matting). If you take the end cap off (drill the three rivets on the end of the pipe) and remove the center O section you can get to the baffle material et. al.

I also ground off the welds and removed the cone end. That wasn't worth the trouble.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why make a bike noisier for street use? It's ultimately irritating to the rider, does nothing for our image as motorcyclists, and could potentially create engine performance issues.

Really just asking..... what do you see as the plusses?

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Hey man your challenging the Holy Grail around here . Fart cans are the rule here.

FOG

·
Registered
192 Posts
hahaha!! fart cans... i love it FOG--- so as far as i have ever read or heard the power gain on an ex500 with aftermarket exhaust of any kind is negligable... the stocks are pretty good. its not like on teh ducati 1098 where you get an extra 25 ponies and 10 more ft/lbs of torque (going off terrible memory of the recent cycleworld) if you are into the nice rumbling then you should look into the aftermakets or gutting your pipes--- but dont expect much of a powergain. i dont think you can get much more than 55 out of this bike

·
Registered
722 Posts
mine came on my bike from the PO, one plus other than the sound( idk about everyone else but I kinda like it) is that I can use my left side helmet lock without melting my helmet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Outrace said:
Just out of curiosity, why make a bike noisier for street use? It's ultimately irritating to the rider, does nothing for our image as motorcyclists, and could potentially create engine performance issues.

Really just asking..... what do you see as the plusses?
Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just like to tinker....thinking more of lightening the exhaust...giving it a throatier sound....without a large expenditure in the latest greatest Titanium Anodized Unobtainium exhaust system with hyperdrive technology....LOL ;D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I thought that loud pipes makes deaf ???

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I had four basic reasons for mine.
Reason 1, they were already screwed up. It was replace it or finish it.
2, I grew up around people who's idea of aftermarket exhaust was taking it home from the dealer and reaming it out after the market :p.
3, if my bike is going to sound like a riding mower then it's going to sound like a really pissed off riding mower.
4, I'm way too cheap to drop $300 on something pre-fabbed :).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree w/ Nick D on all of those 3 points there... lol ;D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have to agree with Nick D on all (4) of his points !

The ex500 is a terrific riding machine, and when the stock exhaust are installed, it's just tooooooooo quiet.
Nick's comment about the lawn mower is laughable, but true. At idle anyway.

That's a plus for a first year rider, (no embarrassing missed shifts announced LOUDLY or dumped clutch engine noise STOPPING SUDDENLY, or the unsteady application of throttle roll on exiting a corner)

but for peeps who enjoy the sound as a part of the ride, removable "training baffles" would be a great idea.

How about it Kawasaki ? Standard equipment, removable training baffles !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Outrace said:
Titanium said:
Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!
Not really, but the Harley guys like to say that.
Yes they do. It makes the bike noticeable to cars who don't check their mirrors / blind spots when changing lanes. If they can't see you, but they can hear you, maybe they'll take a better look and not run you off the road.

·
Registered
722 Posts
its hard to hear a bike inside a car with the windows up and the radio playing, add in cel phone usage its the sound is nearly nonexistant.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thankfully they finally passed a "no cell phone" law here in WA state. It's a mixed blessing, however, because it's only a secondary infraction, so you can't get pulled over for using your cell phone you have to also be breaking another law in order to get cited for it. But it's a step forward nonetheless. Though, the stupid part is it's still not illegal to "text" while you're driving, go figure on that one...

1 - 20 of 303 Posts