Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be dropping coolant from a drain pipe that exits between the right side of the center stand and the right exhaust pipe. Somebody tell me where this is coming from, and what's causing it. Thanks!

bike is a gen2, with 53k miles on the clock

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Isn't that the coolant overflow ?

How much are you loosing from there ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Could be a bad radiator cap or worse a leak from the cylinder into the water jacket. Pull the hose running from under the cap to the overflow. Start the bike and if coolant almost immediately jets out then you probably have a warped head.

If you get a dribble before the bike is warm then suspect a bad cap. The thing is even a bad cap will not usually cause the coolant resevoir to overflow unless it was already too full to begin with. Your engine will just run hot.

If nothing comes out until the engine is warm or nothing comes out at all then maybe your coolant is mostly gone. Check the coolant level byt taking the cap off and checking before starting the experiment so you can get a fair assessment.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
worse a leak from the cylinder into the water jacket
don't go scaring people! :eek:

I checked it out, turned the bike on to test the worst case theory (head gasket breach) and no coolant to be seen, so that rules out that theory. If the head had become warped, and pressurized exhaust gases were entering the coolant, it would be a veritable storm of coolant flying out. I noticed none, and the little coolant that leaked prior was clean green, no signs of contamination by oil or exhaust gases.

Onto the the second idea, bad radiator cap: I think this is probably the issue, since the cap seems to have been the same one that was on the bike in its showroom days. It seems I did overfill the coolant a bit when I changed it last, that can't be helping the issue.

There is enough coolant, more than enough actually, and it was quite easy to get the bike warmed up in this Los Angeles weather!

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Most likley too much coolant. leave it be for several heat cycles and for god's sake do not open the radiator cap ...ever.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
*edit* ^ Arg! this guy's fast 8)

Mulcibre said:
It seems I did overfill the coolant a bit when I changed it last, that can't be helping the issue.

There is enough coolant, more than enough actually, and it was quite easy to get the bike warmed up in this Los Angeles weather!
In this case, worry only when you won't have enough coolant left, until then, I'm pretty sure it's the bike dumping what's not necessary..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the subject of coolant, does the system bleed air out on its own, or does it need help?

Also, what do you mean to not ever take the radiator cap off?

I mean, if the bike's hot, or even warm, its a bad idea... faceful of green poisonous lovin'!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mulcibre said:
I mean, if the bike's hot, or even warm, its a bad idea... faceful of green poisonous lovin'!
had this happen with my truck, it had stopped running so I was checking everything and for some reason I decided to take the cap off to see If I had coolant. Got a fully spray into the face from ice cold coolant. I was so glad that the motor hadnt warmed up even though it was about 10 miles in a drive. Couldn't get it running again so I had to walk 10 miles back home just to call poison control center.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Mulcibre said:
On the subject of coolant, does the system bleed air out on its own, or does it need help?

see below

Also, what do you mean to not ever take the radiator cap off?

The coolant systen depends on a vacum to maintain a completly full engin and radiator, The "catch bottle " is not that at all but and expansion tank. when the system is operating correctlly when cold there is a large space in the bottle. (the low line) this allows room for the expansion of the coolant when it's heated. If you open the radiator cap at any time you disturb the system level, and it will take some topping up and several hot /cold cycles to stablize. add coolant only through thew expansion tank cap.

That's not the reason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts