Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I crave building this bike, got a project and all the fun inheriting someone else's issues and currently the engine is in pieces along with the rest of it. And I have heard that this bike was built to maximum power, high compression, exhaust at best flow and what not. I'm aware of the absolute mad lads boring out the motor into a 600. I plan to get a stage 7 jet kit once I confirmed the bike runs once its fixed. BUT I want to fiddle with timing, air, fuel that kind of thing. I have seen the racing carbs for $700 which will be useful, but can theoretically me increasing the air fuel mix, timing change and maybe a drop in compression along with 100, 110 gas give me more power without blowing the bolts off the engine as I know it? Or did Kawasaki beat me to it and sabotage the ability to do that

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
yeah good luck with that bud. we await your results and tribulations. there was a guy over on the UK forum that did all those things and more and swears he increased the HP by 25% although never supplied any dyno results to back it up.
and one guy got his up to over 90HP. by fitting a 600 engine. although fair do's it wasn't a EX but the other GPZ 500 based on the GPX running gear with a 4cyl 498cc engine.
there is no doubt you can make the EX (seem) more powerful by junking the CVK carbs and fitting sliders to alter the power curve and tweaking the gearing. but results are patchy because there is no accredited settings for them.
I tried for 6months but never got them spot on so reverted to the old carbs and airbox as reliability was more important for a daily rider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I feel that, some bikes are just funky that way. Let’s see if I get it running first lmao

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
Forget all the hot rod stuff.
‘the cases are simply not strong enough to handle what it makes stock.not to mention the cylinders so thin that warp out of round on the way home from the dealership. Or the crank so long and wimpy they commonly snap off the gen lump.
add on infinatum

Fog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts