Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the morning catching up on the MotoGP opener in Qatar this morning. I mean, I did my catching up this morning. The race is tomorrow night so....tomorrow morning here. Anyway, that's not what this post is about.

Ducati and the GP21 is really something. Johann Zarco set the fastest ever speed for a MotoGP bike this morning at 362 KPH!! That's like 225 mph for us not using the metric system.

If that were not enough to celebrate (at Ducati I mean) Pecco Bagnaia set the fastest ever lap of Doha circuit with a 1:52.775 first ever lap under 1:53 and demolishing Marc Marquez' record from 2019. He took his maiden MotoGP pole in the process.

Gresini Aprilia rider Aleix Espargaro looked like he finally got the RSV he wanted. He's looked good right from the off and sure isn't trailing outside of the top 10. Even Rossi managed to qualify 4th with a tow from Pecco.

In Moto2, we finally have 2 American riders to cheer on. Joe Roberts moved over to the ItalTrans team, taking Enea Bastianini's spot. Cameron Beaubier moves to the American Racing Team into the spot vacated by Joe Roberts. Joe was 3rd after FP3 and qualified 5th. Cam didn't get out of Q1 but did manage to improve every session.

Should make for some good racing this year. Lots of fast rookies coming in from Moto3 too and they're not fooling around either.

Moto3, which is by far the most action packed class on race day lived up to its normal crazyiness in qualifying. I'm sure race day will be equally insane. Some of last year's top protagonists are still there and still up front.

Darren Binder took pole but Jaume Masia and John McPhee were right there too. One rookie to keep an eye on is Pedro Acosta. The Spanish teenager won every race but one in the Red Bull Rookies Cup last year. I think he crashed in the one he didn't win. He was head and shoulders above the rest.

He's astonishing. I predict he will be the next Marc Marquez. In his first free practice in Moto3 he lead the field. He qualified inside the top 10 too. He has like 5 days on his new ride. Just pumped to have some racing to watch again.........sean

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow! That was an excellent race! It was great watching Mir ride through the front...no crashes at the end as well. Running it back this weekend.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, great race. All classes really. This past weekends was a little less so but Moto3 was a complete nutter of a race.

Pedro Acosta won in only his 2nd race in the class. Keep an eye on this kid, I predict he will be the next Marc Marquez. He dominated the Red Bull Rookies last year, by quite a margin I’ll add.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve seen a few races in the past and some of my riding buddies are into it. I like watching, but I have a feeling if I watch anymore a race bike and divorce will be in my future. Haha just kidding on the second part, but she would not be happy.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a subscription. Been into it for decades. If you think you’d have to get a race bike cuz you’ve watched it on tv try riding your current bike at a track and put in as many laps on the limit as you see the pros do.
I promise you it will open your eyes to what it takes to do even 10 laps close to your personal limit. I was in really good shape when I was young. I tried hustling a 750 around a local track at my limit. Knee on the deck sliding the rear.
I was done, toast after 6 laps of that kind of effort.

Imagine doing that for 25-30 laps AND being consistently fast hitting your braking markers exactly the same every lap. It is humbling when you realize how much it takes.....and know that you’ll never be as fast as the slowest guy out there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hoping Marc returns soon as the Hondas aren't doing so well. Good to see Zarco take advantage of the Ducati hp. I was hoping for a bit of a discount this year on the subscription, so I am taking a year off.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping for a bit of a discount this year on the subscription, so I am taking a year off.
There was a discount if you renewed early.....I tried but for some reason I couldn’t get mine to update until my normal renewal. Coulda saved myself $35 had it worked. It was like a 2 day deal so once it didn’t work I didn’t have a chance to try again....I didn’t even see the email until it was a day in

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would have been happy with an automatic credit off of last year's sub; $35 would have made me feel whole. Now, I am sticking to my stubborn principles. I don't recall an email about the discount.

Edit:. I am receiving repetitive emails to renew my sub now...😋

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hoping Marc returns soon as the Hondas aren't doing so well. Good to see Zarco take advantage of the Ducati hp. I was hoping for a bit of a discount this year on the subscription, so I am taking a year off.
Undeniably talented kid!

But, he is a huge part of the reason I rarely even follow Moto GP anymore, let alone bother to watch a race. He had made things to too boring to even care about. I'm glad he's not riding, the season is more compelling without him. Sorry....just my 2c.

Rea started to do the same for WSBK. I really hope Redding can take another step forwards and continues to push Rea harder, if not beat him outright this year. We need real competition!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a basic level I agree with you. However, I can remember watching Rossi very early on and saying to a friend that he should keep an eye on this kid, he’s something special.

I said the same of Marquez, though it was later in his career than when I said the same of Rossi.

Now it’s Pedro Acosta I’m saying it about. He dominated Red Bull Rookies last year. Finished on the box in his first ever Moto3 race and won his 2nd one even though he started from pit lane. He went into turn one 9 seconds behind the leader and still managed to win. This kid is the real deal.

With regard to Rea and SBK, again I agree. Either Redding or Chaz have to take it to him on a regular because both have been inconsistent in their ability to challenge. Johnny Rea on the other hand is Mr. Consistent. He’s there or there abouts every single weekend 3 times a weekend. Really thought Bautista had something for him in 19 until his season fell apart.

I still watch, whether Marquez or Rea are racing or not because regardless of how boring they make the races, they are both incredible to watch. Whether it’s Marquez storming through the field from the back of the grid in Moto2 to win the race and take the title or Johnny Rea chipping away lap after lap at the lead to win the race on the next to last lap or the last lap.

I can see Acosta getting to MotoGP in a handful of years and challenging Marquez in the same way Marquez showed up and challenged Rossi.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do appreciate your 2c, too bad I cannot even buy a cup of coffee with it. :p

Sometimes it can get a bit "uninteresting" when a particular rider dominates, but then I want to examine why the domination is occurring: is it the bike, is it the rider, or are the other riders just making errors? Also, with the variety of tracks, I haven't seen a bike which excels at each of them; of course, it is an engineering compromise. I enjoy following Oliveira, but geesh, those KTMs were horrible in Qatar. Mir was consistent last year and I enjoyed watching Frankie challenge. Let's throw MM back into the mix!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts