Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was almost certain that I had posted this review here, but I guess I didn't since I can't seem to find it. Anyways, here's what I had posted at the ex500riders.com forum....

I've had my GTS-60's for a season now and thought others may want to see what they're like since I had no clue what I was buying or the quality of the bags.

Side of Bag

Small Compartment on Side w/ Elastic Holders

Large Compartment (not expanded) with Elastic Straps to Heep things in place

Removable Plastic inserts to keep Sides Rigid (they zip into the bag!!!!!!)

Built in Storage for the Included and Attached Rain Covers

Rain Cover on Bag (They have elastic strap on bottom to tighten and also expand to fit the bag when it is fully expanded)

Expanded Vs. Non-Expanded Side

Mounting Straps and Bag w/ a 1/4" Neoprene Pad to Protect your Paint Job

Saddlebags on the Bike from the Back

Saddlebags on the Bike from the Side

Saddlebags on the Bike from the front

I would suggest getting Short-Stalk or Flush Mount turn signals to use these sddlebags. Mine are a little bit too far forward on the seat and the neoprene padding touches me. If I move the saddlebags back farther, they ride on top of my stock signals, and I don't want to put a lot of weight on them if they are being supported by that. All in all, they seem to be really well made and I can't beat the deal that I got them for ($100 shipped brand new). They also hold up really well if you happen to go down at about 55mph in the dirt. After I layed my bike down, they only had a bit of dirt on them and a little bit of wear where you could see they rubbed against the ground. All in all, they held up really well through the crash...

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Big enough to carry a one man tent, a compact Slumberjack sleeping bag and a week's worth of warm weather clothing plus any essentails for touring?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I went with Janinja and another guy to Cedar Point I carried a six man tent, 6 blankets for us, my clothes for the weekend, and all the necessities for the weekend (minus food of course). I put all of the blankets and clothes in the saddlebags and in a backpack, with the huge tent spanning across the back seat over the 2 saddlebags. It looked funny b/c I was totally loaded up whereas they only had on backpacks for the weekend. For one person, though, they would prolly work for a week or so.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pacagg2 said:
I like the bags. They look sharp on the bike. Where did you find them for that price?
The dealer was getting rid of the end of season stock on a forum that I had found, so I ordered through there. It ended up working really nicely b/c they ran out of the old models, so they offered to just give me the new ones w/ the upgraded zippers (pretty much the only improvement) for the old model price. None the less, I got the newer, better bags, for the discounted price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to revive this topic (not sure if this warrants a whole new one) but I have the same luggage (+ tail bag). I am spatially slow (among other things, according to my friends). How do you securely attach these bags to the bike? Through the sissy bar? Around the footpegs? Do you put the bags under the seat, or over it (under it seems to put them too close to the exhaust) Any tricks?

I can jury rig them onto my bike but I am notoriously bad with such things unless I physically see somebody do it and the enclosed instructions were pretty vague.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've got the Motopak universal tailbag also (lots of room) and I've thought about buying the saddlebags to connect with it, but at the moment I'm trying to get one of their magnetic tank bags instead.
Tony

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Septimus said:
How do you securely attach these bags to the bike? Through the sissy bar? Around the footpegs? Do you put the bags under the seat, or over it (under it seems to put them too close to the exhaust) Any tricks?
I almost completely forgot that you had asked these questions. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. The way that I attach them is I take the frontmost straps and put them through the triangular metal piece that supports the footpegs, then back up to the same side of the bag. I don't remember how I rigged the back straps up, but I know they went all the way across the back of the bike and attached to the other side. I don't have the bags on anymore b/c I haven't needed them this season; I've been using the bike for more joy riding rather than errand running and getting groceries now....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I hook them around the grab bar in back and the triangular portion of the frame that mounts the passenger pegs as well. It looks like they've improved the velcro that goes over the seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts