Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a EX500AE24930 stamped that way on the motor. Can someone please give me an estimate on age thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
One of the first one's, from the late 80's.

Edit:
After checking my '06 against my very late '09, I'm going to change that estimate to the early 90's.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I have engine #5400. Still in the bike. Sept 86 I'm guessing. Have an '89 with engine number 20,400-something.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
not convinced how this works guys. my gen 1 (1990) is EX500AE0378xx (six numbers) but the gen 2 (1995) is EX500AE156xx (five numbers) no idea why that is. I am not sure whether the numbers are sequential or regional based.
on the face of it it has to be later than 96. but then it appears some earlier bikes had higher numbers than later ones.

apart from a guess based on mechanical attributes GEN1/2 not sure how you find out apart from ringing Kawasaki direct.
early ones had 4 fins on the head later ones 5 but no indication of when that changed. then there is the type of flywheel and CCT and a clincher is the numbers of triggers in the timing case. but that would only tell you the generation not the year.

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
@yorkie
I don't think your gen2 has the original engine.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
@yorkie
I don't think your gen2 has the original engine.
@bpe the engine was never original to the bike as the whole bike is made out of spare parts. the engine came from a UK member who was breaking his 1995 gen 2 after crashing it. i bought it as a spare engine if i needed one for the gen 1. but that engine is so good I decided to use it to build another bike. so yeah your right it could be any age beside 1995. only thing for sure it's a gen 2 motor and it came out of a 1995 bike. that all I know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts