Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,393 Posts
Oh geez, and its a Die Hard to boot.

See the source image

Yeah, you should have a 14ah battery.

At this point you have already hacked into the wiring. Wouldn't be any more harm to just follow through with the solenoid conversion to put your mind at ease. You can always get another battery later.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Oh geez, and its a Die Hard to boot.

See the source image

Yeah, you should have a 14ah battery.

At this point you have already hacked into the wiring. Wouldn't be any more harm to just follow through with the solenoid conversion to put your mind at ease. You can always get another battery later.
say the word man if you think a 14ah battery is gonna give me better result ill go buy one asap

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
Yes. There is a schematic somewhere in an old thread on this forum. Just Google it and the link will show up back to the forum.

That will help with diagnostics. Do you have a test light? If not get one while you’re getting the battery, they’re pretty cheap to buy.

They’re also pretty much mandatory for electrical diagnostics. A cheap digital multi-meter would also be a good investment.

BTW, where are you located. If another forum member is nearby they may be willing to lend you a hand with the diagnostics.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Yes. There is a schematic somewhere in an old thread on this forum. Just Google it and the link will show up back to the forum.

That will help with diagnostics. Do you have a test light? If not get one while you’re getting the battery, they’re pretty cheap to buy.

They’re also pretty much mandatory for electrical diagnostics. A cheap digital multi-meter would also be a good investment.

BTW, where are you located. If another forum member is nearby they may be willing to lend you a hand with the diagnostics.
I'm located in Louisville Kentucky

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
Die Hard used to be a really good name in batteries. Maybe not so much these days. We normally use Interstate these days as you can get them at any Costco.

For motorcycles though, I’m fairly sure the numbers you need are XX14LA-2. If you’re using Amazon rather than a local business just look for that.

Replace the XX with which ever letters. Each manufacturer will use different letters. YB= Yuasa. Could be any number of letter combinations though.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,107 Posts
quality battery....Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS ITS AN AGM (SEALED)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
before rushing out and buying a new battery, I would try removing the spark plugs (to reduce the power needed to turn the engine on the starter). if you have correctly wired the solenoid even a low power battery should turn it.
if still doesn't turn over just clicks then there is something else stopping it.
also just for information. my gen 1 only has a 12amp battery on it works fine. that one is a Motorbatt high power gel one.

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
inside the fuse/junction box actually are 2 relays, headlight and starter. Open it up, check all relay related solder joints on the underside of the circuit board. If you choose to replace it, note 1st and 2nd Gen versions differ.

Wood Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Font Electronic instrument

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Electronic engineering Electronic component

Reactions: onewizard

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
for future readers of this thread...i'd suggest to be aware of B and M placement before ordering starter solenoid, assuring a perfect match.

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
so I have the junction box out but the back is so hard to pop off and I don't see any screws holding it in is it just a matter of applying force and popping the back cover off?

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
Looks like the low side was submerged for some time. Might wanna find one on eBay and replace it.

61 - 80 of 135 Posts