Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
U P D A T E: Tested the spark plugs and ignition coils the bike is getting spark however the issue rn is when the bike is turning over it keeps getting a weird jolt and just stopping no clue what the issue might be. I've made the video below to show u guys a better visual what do you think might be causing this could it be potential engine damage?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
U P D A T E: Tested the spark plugs and ignition coils the bike is getting spark however the issue rn is when the bike is turning over it keeps getting a weird jolt and just stopping no clue what the issue might be. I've made the video below to show u guys a better visual what do you think might be causing this could it be potential engine damage?

Is this a Sprag Clutch issue?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do me a favour, hook a meter to the battery, and post the volts DC while cranking. Also the VDC before cranking. The comment about the sprague clutch. My Versys has the same, my wiring is such that hitting the start button while running will turn my headlight off, provided I don't have a brake on. I do this while waiting beyond 5 minutes for a stop light to change and my fan comes on.
I have heard of some having issues with the clutch. My thought is the cranking speed sounds low.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Do me a favour, hook a meter to the battery, and post the volts DC while cranking. Also the VDC before cranking. The comment about the sprague clutch. My Versys has the same, my wiring is such that hitting the start button while running will turn my headlight off, provided I don't have a brake on. I do this while waiting beyond 5 minutes for a stop light to change and my fan comes on.
I have heard of some having issues with the clutch. My thought is the cranking speed sounds low.
The battery drained from me cranking it so much but before cranking the meter read 11.97 and while cranking the meter dropped to 9.65 and occasionally it had times when it dropped to 6.87

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would suggest charging for 6 hours. Wait 10 minutes after disconnecting the charger. Measure VDC . then crank for 10 seconds, measure the volts while cranking. Wait a minute and do this again 3 more cycles.
Sort of one step at a time. How old is the fuel? I ask because been there done that. Took some fuel, dumped it on the concrete and threw a match NOTHING. I took a propane torch to it, removing the torch it went out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I would suggest charging for 6 hours. Wait 10 minutes after disconnecting the charger. Measure VDC . then crank for 10 seconds, measure the volts while cranking. Wait a minute and do this again 3 more cycles.
Sort of one step at a time. How old is the fuel? I ask because been there done that. Took some fuel, dumped it on the concrete and threw a match NOTHING. I took a propane torch to it, removing the torch it went out.
I poured some fresh fuel in about 3-4 weeks ago and added some more about a week ago

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
make sure your battery is fully charged then try it again, because with readings like that you may need a better battery. below 10.5v it may still crank over but is never going to start.
as for the clicking I took your vid looped it and watched for 5mins. while it appears something is loose it could just be stopping under compression and with the battery being low the starter power isn't enough to force it passed it.
FYI. my gen 1 has the ignition set 4 degrees advanced. and does the very same thing on first (cold) start up but there is nothing loose on that one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
make sure your battery is fully charged then try it again, because with readings like that you may need a better battery. below 10.5v it may still crank over but is never going to start.
as for the clicking I took your vid looped it and watched for 5mins. while it appears something is loose it could just be stopping under compression and with the battery being low the starter power isn't enough to force it passed it.
FYI. my gen 1 has the ignition set 4 degrees advanced. and does the very same thing on first (cold) start up but there is nothing loose on that one.
I replaced the flywheel a little while back I'm thinking maybe I installed the flywheel/starter clutch combo back on improperly causing it to be loose. I think im gonna disassemble it tomorrow and see

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Update: I got the bike to start but its having difficulties idling if im not pulling the throttle all the way the bike is jus turning off

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Thanks to everyone who helped me find solutions It really means a lot and bc of yall I was able to start up the bike currently I'm gonna make some fine adjustment but I really appreciate the forum its was a ton of help

·
Registered
50 Posts
sounds like it's running on one cylinder.
If you think theirs too much air , you can try partially blocking the intakes. Maybe even your hand will do.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Those air filters situated backwards like that are not filtering the air entering the intake. The only air going to the carbs is through those holes you punched in the end caps, and is unfiltered. Never going to work as it's setup right now.

As yorkie said, stock is best.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
the motorcycle came with the pods courtesy of previous owner no clue what he did with the air box

101 - 120 of 134 Posts