Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Fast Old Guy
19,900 Posts
my god he has the pods stuck in backwards, making them plugs. I'll wait a while to post on this one

FOG

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wait a minute! Can we go back to the video showing the open left case, the rotor spinning? Is it an optical illusion, or is something bent?
Maybe it's the magnets, but it looks like the rotor wobbles quite a lot! Then the second video has a terrible
noise in the background, sounds like exhaust, but could it be the rotor smacking the stator?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wait a minute! Can we go back to the video showing the open left case, the rotor spinning? Is it an optical illusion, or is something bent?
Maybe it's the magnets, but it looks like the rotor wobbles quite a lot! Then the second video has a terrible
noise in the background, sounds like exhaust, but could it be the rotor smacking the stator?
Now that you mention it, something definitely looks out of whack!
I think in the second video, the horrid sound is the essentially open air intake side of the carb, had a similar thing when I was working on my old bike. I could definitely be wrong though!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Now that you mention it, something definitely looks out of whack!
I think in the second video, the horrid sound is the essentially open air intake side of the carb, had a similar thing when I was working on my old bike. I could definitely be wrong though!
Take another look. Like both Fog and I mentioned, those pods are actually plugging the air intake. The only air entering the carbs is through the punched holes in the chrome caps. The bike is dying on the throttle because it's starving for air.

·
Fast Old Guy
19,900 Posts
The crankshafts always snap right at the generator just outside the last main bearing .Due to the long wippy crank. with a big lump hanging off the end
Check to see if your crank in broken
just looked at the video, yep your crank is snapped pull on it it will prolly come off in your hand

FOG

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I cannot believe the amount of trouble! I was given a 1989 EX for parts that had been stolen two states away, hacked, rattle-canned black, thrashed and crashed, used for burnouts, impounded and left on its side in the weather for two years. Duct tape for a gas cap. No ignition switch. Drained and filled the float bowls, put a battery in it and after maybe 30 seconds of on-off cranking, it started up and idled fine. Once I broke the rusted solid chain links loose, it rode just fine. Even turned and stopped. I put some cheap signals on it and they worked.

What on earth has happened to some of these bikes?

·
Administrator
15,848 Posts
Preaching to the choir here.....though nice examples still exist, SO MANY EX's have been abused, neglected, stored outdoors long term (exposed to elements uncovered)...abandoned at the first sign of non-starting or any other inoperation, essentially left to rot. Won't even mention major maintenance being totally avoided.
I'd chalk much up to undeserving, irresponsible, totally inept owners.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,150 Posts
Could we get pictures showing everything that you can see?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I couldnt take pictures i think it has to be a idle adjustment issue idk how to get a stable idle without the bike just turning off on me

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,150 Posts
It's not running without choke once the engine is warmed up? or
It's not running without choke as soon as it is started?

·
Fast Old Guy
19,900 Posts
Have you investigated the broken crankshaft?. The stalling issue could be the crank giving miss timing info. That wobble in the video is not normal and indicates some sort of major problem. Whe cracks break,they rately shear clean off square but on a daiagonal, which allows the broken crank to still drive the flywheel. But the itimming can vary wildly causing all sorts of strange problems.

Fog

121 - 134 of 134 Posts