Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've heard of those before but I've just found their web site.

They build reusable airbags in a jacket or a vest that inflates with a CO² cartridge if you get thrown off the bike.

Those protects your neck/ribs/back down to the tailbone.

Pretty expensive (between 600 and 1000$ canadian), but life is priceless ;)

http://www.quadrashop.com/index.html?lmd=39187.606910

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The part for the neck seems especially important.

Has anyone here ever tried modding a (football) lineman's neck pad for cycling?
Same for football pants & pads (available cheap) to wear under inexpensive abrasion resistance pants.

·
Registered
722 Posts
MrSciTrek said:

Same for football pants & pads (available cheap) to wear under inexpensive abrasion resistance pants.
neck rolls and butterfly braces bolt directly to the shoulder pads, plus with these you'd have trouble lifting your head up to see. same with the lower pads would restrict movement too much to be able to ride the bike. you'd need hguely oversized pants for that too.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Jason said:
MrSciTrek said:

neck rolls and butterfly braces bolt directly to the shoulder pads, plus with these you'd have trouble lifting your head up to see. same with the lower pads would restrict movement too much to be able to ride the bike. You'd need hugely oversized pants for that too.
Thanks for the perspective. I never played football, never put on the equipment/pants, so just assumed that the padded pants would allow plenty of flexibility.

·
Registered
722 Posts
they are flexible to an extent, running is fine with them on but they would be awkward on a bike (i think not 100% positive never actually tried).

btw the pads are seperate from the pants, 1" thick hard foam pad over the quad, 1'2" thick soft foam pad over the knees, and 1'2" thick soft foam on the hips(extends up to the last rib). you can get them at academy sports & outdoors if you'd like to experiment.

TBH i think the neck pad would be along the same line of a back protector which a lot of doctors say doesn't do much good because most spinal injuries are caused by blows to the shoulders and hips and in straight collisons to the protect it would offer little protection. I not sure if the neck roll would do any good againt the force from a collision that would cause the head to be knocked backwards.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are looking at a cheaper way to get legs protection, you can always check with www.motovan.com they sell all kind of stuff and I bought myself just the pads for my knees and hips, then I used autoadhesive velcro bands to keep them in place in the thick leather chaps I've got :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hahaha, so the airbags are triggered when the string between the rider and bike is pulled. Could you imagine forgetting you were attached, stepping off the bike and then POOF you blow up like the Michelin man? Haha! I would pay to see that... :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They thought about that, the trigger pin need a 35kg (that's 77 lbs) pull, you'll notice it before it blows ;)

1st question in the FAQ :
Question: If I forget to take off the string linking my jacket to the bike, won’t the airbag system turn me into the Michelin man? Answer: To be activated, the system must detect a traction of 35 kg on the string that links you to the vehicle. Only a strong traction will activate the system. A violent shock combined with the weight of your body at the moment of the accident will have an immediate effect on the mechanism.

They refer to the Michelin man too :D

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
kkrause said:
Hahaha, so the airbags are triggered when the string between the rider and bike is pulled. Could you imagine forgetting you were attached, stepping off the bike and then POOF you blow up like the Michelin man? Haha! I would pay to see that... :D
Would make a nice entry for America's Funniest Home Videos... & would be on U Tube in a flash!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jason said:
they are flexible to an extent, running is fine with them on but they would be awkward on a bike (i think not 100% positive never actually tried).

btw the pads are seperate from the pants, 1" thick hard foam pad over the quad, 1'2" thick soft foam pad over the knees, and 1'2" thick soft foam on the hips(extends up to the last rib). you can get them at academy sports & outdoors if you'd like to experiment.

TBH i think the neck pad would be along the same line of a back protector which a lot of doctors say doesn't do much good because most spinal injuries are caused by blows to the shoulders and hips and in straight collisons to the protect it would offer little protection. I not sure if the neck roll would do any good againt the force from a collision that would cause the head to be knocked backwards.
if you can run in pads i would think you could ride a bike in pads
shoulder pads might be difficult and a neck roll makes it harder to lift your head
but knee, quad and hip pads shouldnt be a problem

a girdle would be the best choice to hold hip and thigh pads in
http://www.weplay.com/Adams/football/girdles/

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
MrSciTrek,if you're looking for some cheap/I mean inexpensive riding pants,try motocross pants.I got mine for $35 from new enough.Abrasion protection and padding in the knees and hips.They look really stupid;light green with my black/silver jacket.But real comfy.Can't imagine what the BMW guys in their $1000 aerostitch suits say when I ride by.Am I a Squid?or just cheap.or just poor?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Billbo said:
MrSciTrek,if you're looking for some cheap/I mean inexpensive riding pants,try motocross pants.I got mine for $35 from new enough.Abrasion protection and padding in the knees and hips.They look really stupid;light green with my black/silver jacket.But real comfy.Can't imagine what the BMW guys in their $1000 aerostitch suits say when I ride by.Am I a Squid?or just cheap.or just poor?
Wonder if the fabric they're made out of can be dyed?

Thrifty is the word. ;) I'm for it! Wish Congress was.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was once able to pierce through FOX MX pants from a (really) bad faceplant during my mountain biking years.

And I fell in gravel, not on tarmac. I figured a way to burn through them by abrasion still ;)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thrifty,that's it!...Frog,maybe let's say that they're better than jeans,but not as good as leather.And cheap! I mean thrifty.SciTrek,never thought about dyeing them.I know some old ex-girlfriend hippie-chicks that still do tie-die.I can see a cop asking a car driver "how the hell could you NOT have seen this motorcyclist????".HeeHeeeee........

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't know about the airbag jacket, I mean there is a really really good reason that professional racers don't wear these. I don't know what that reason is but I'm sure it's really really good.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Pro Racers using Motorcycle Jacket with integrated airbag

derf said:
I don't know about the airbag jacket, I mean there is a really really good reason that professional racers don't wear these. I don't know what that reason is but I'm sure it's really really good.
Those dudes are way too cool to want to lie around on the track, looking like the Michelin man, after a crash!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It probably takes too long to fold everything back in and then jump back on what's left of their machine ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts