Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ne...09-08_Todd-bike-courier-in-Seoul-p1030562.jpg

I lived in Seoul for about a year, and I was stunned by the way Koreans would use Motorcycles. This guy ^^ actually has something with some power, but lots of folks were zooming in and out of traffic on 125s or something less with appliances tied to the back of the bike. Not SMALL appliances, either.

I saw several fathers riding with their 3-6 year olds sitting on their laps. No helmets, obviously.

Pretty much all couriers and deliverymen had cell phones jammed in between their cheeks and helmets- and I'm convinced the helmet was really considered a 'phone retention device.'

Oh, and swerving all over traffic without regard to traffic signals is one thing... but there was no place a pedestrian could be safe since sidewalks are considered HOV lanes for motorcycles. Walking around you'd have to figure out strategies: "Okay, I'm going to walk so that there's always a tree behind me, making it more difficult for a bike to zoom up over my ass." It was hilarious. Strangely- bizarrely- I never saw a wreck.

Still, when someone at the MSF course said he was going to Korea and wanted to ride a motorcycle there, I think I suggested he update his will.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Taiwan was the same way, to the point of scooters regularly riding against traffic. In two years there, spending most days traveling around, I only came across 2 wrecks. We called it the 'law of the dinosaur'...you yield to anything bigger. People avoid scooters, which avoid cars, which avoid trucks, which avoid buses...it's the craziest organized chaos I've ever seen. Impressive, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts