Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

Just wondering where the best spot to mount a damper on these bikes is. I've seen alot of them mounted under the tank, But that really doesn't work well for me, Because I need to be able to adjust it on the fly.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm also interested in this. I'm planning to mount a damper on my own bike too.
Is it important to choose the most expensive damper or does a normal, quite cheap do?
I'm not racing or anything, just preventing tankslappers and such.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
marshall2 said:
Hey guys and gals,

Just wondering where the best spot to mount a damper on these bikes is. I've seen alot of them mounted under the tank, But that really doesn't work well for me, Because I need to be able to adjust it on the fly.

Thanks,
Brad
No you don't. a very light setting is all the EX needs. Setting the Damper too stiff just transfers the steering loads into the chassis and causes it to become even more un settled than it already is. The EX needs to wobble that's how it works. Use a very light grip on the bars and let the steering have it's head and you'll do the best.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
We mounted mine so you could reach thru the hole we cut in the fairing and adjust it with your fingers, we took off the knob, but Fog is right, you'll run it on the light setting or the steering gets way to heavy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I haven't found a need for one on these. They have a ton of caster and as such aren't prone to those problems. I've never had even an inkling of a problem on mine. I have one on my 636 track bike and would have one on any of the newer 600's and up, just never found the need on these.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Dad is correct, The reason I even had one on my race bike was for the Bridge (Bridgehampton , NY). this track was fast and rough with several bumps that would cause the EX at over 100 mph to bounce around so bad that the rear wheel would jumps sideways 6". At those times you practiclly had to let go of the bars to let the bike settle or it would just servo itself into the air. I thought a dampner would help at those times. But when I first put one on I cranked it full stiff and almost killed myself. On that rough Backstretch I couldn't go above 80 mph or the bike would just come completly unglued. I ended up backing the thing all the way off. I could have saved myself 50 bucks.
I tell you these stories to help, I know for a fact that none of you will ever ride your bikes to the extremes I just discribed. In racing you have to do what you have to do, and I'll admit that anytime I was racing a EX at competitve speed I was scared Sh$tless. I'm not afraid to admit it. So if you think you went fast around you favorite turn and didn't think you just excaped the worst crash in your life, you didn't, and on the track two guys would have passed you.

FOG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, thanks for the input guys. I will be racing at Atlantic Motorsports Park, Which is notorious for it's bumps, tightness, speed, and elevation changes. I rode my old RD350 there a few times, and had my damper maxed, and she still shook and shaked. The biggest spot with a need for a damper is the backstraigt. It isn't really straight. It is a highspeed combo of a right than a left, that is quite bumpy, which lead into a super fast right left switchback uphill combo with a bumpy entrance, and big bump in the middle.

Brad

·
Registered
181 Posts
You want bumpy? Come to Loudon NH. Then you'll see bumpy.

Cranking up a steering damper doesn't do any good on bumps, having proper suspension set up does. Keep your hands loose on the bars & let the front wheel do what it wants to do. Cranking up your steering damper only reduces the front tire's ability to do it's job. It's like having a death grip on the handlebars.... only thing that's good for is introducing you to the pavment.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
yeah i agree, i raced Talladega GP in Alabama, it's way short and way bumpy (or was then, '90-'96) and you didn't crank up the dampner there at all, only place i felt I really needed one was the back banking at Daytona over the tunnel and maybe the back long straight at Rd Atlanta.
Both are very high speed and had some dips that could give you a shake.
Franky, once i put the 43mm front end on I should have taken it off and saved the weight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys. I would love to come to Loudon, But I doubt it will happen this year. As for the damper set tight, I don't think I'll need it on the EX. It is a way better frame and suspension than the RD and is Balanced way better. Thanks alot for the advice.

Here is an Onboard vid of our track, circa 2001 or so. The section between 3 and 4 has been repaved since, But the rest of the track is the same, or Bumpier. It adds character. It is an incredbibly fun track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfGbz8Re-v8&mode=related&search=

Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts