Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. As above-mentioned, I am going to move to Spain. Hopefully, within the end of this month. Obviously, in the first months, I'll need to settle down and find a good job, and consequently, I have to leave my beloved kawi here in Italy. I would really like to bring it with me when things will go better, but for now it has to stay safe and sheltered in my mom's garage.
So basically, I'm looking for general recommendations about sitting my bike for a while, and, eventually, any burocratic advice about shifting it in a new country.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
hi @PhantomLord good luck with your new venture and move, must be exciting times.
laying up the bike is pretty straight forwards, while everyone has their own way to do this basically all your trying to do is prevent the bike deteriorating while it's stood idle. so drain all the fuel out of the tank and carbs. some drain coolant also,
grease the chain and any moving parts exposed to the air. coat the chrome bits in corrosion inhibitor and remove the battery, the cover with a none plastic cover and hope for the best.

as for moving a vehicle from one EU country to another. although there is plenty of red tape and bureaucratic hoops to jump through basically you can move it across borders and use it for 6months in your new country while still having it registered in the old one. after that you must re- register it in your new home state.
whether that means the first 6 months you are there or the first 6months the vehicle is there is dependant on the place to take it to. you may also have to change it to any regulations that apply in your new state/country.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I can add that Italy and Spain are my two favorite countries in the EU. If your bike has the center stand, you could also use that to raise the rear tire, then block the front tire off the ground and lower the pressure in both tires until you return. Less chance of cracking from sitting, or producing a "flat spot" on the tires.

Buen viaje!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can add that Italy and Spain are my two favorite countries in the EU. If your bike has the center stand, you could also use that to raise the rear tire, then block the front tire off the ground and lower the pressure in both tires until you return. Less chance of cracking from sitting, or producing a "flat spot" on the tires.

Buen viaje!
I was planning to buy at least one stand in order to raise properly the front tire as well. Got brand new Pirelli Demon, I don't want them to crack. Hoping it will prevent the wear of tires at least...
Thanks for the advice, anyways :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
A quick ride across southern France, across the majestic Pyrenees, and voilá, you're in Spain! OK, a little more complicated than that...

Reactions: yorkie
1 - 9 of 9 Posts