Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

mpg

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  FazerDude 
#1 ·
can any one give me the actually numbers of mpg so i can understand it better the official bike website say 48 how accurate is that also i have seen and read alot on mod of the bike is it necessary for a first time rider with an 06 bike 1.1 mile on the odometer

#2 ·
No mods are necessary though I strongly suggest you to protect your bike from dropping it.

Check here : http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,2209.0.html

You can also replace the stock blinkers with shorter ones, the stock ones are really prone to punch through the fairing.

Aside of that, keep the money for gas and tires for at least the first couple thousand miles ;)

Oh, for the mileage, I get between 5.5 and 7 litres per 100km Have fun with the conversion ;D

I've heard up to 60mpg but more often around 50.

#7 ·
i get low 60s, but i commute at 55mph and under, for 10 miles each way. i would say 50-55 mpg is reasonable.

#8 ·
I have consistently gotten between 58-62 over about 4000 miles. I ride conservatively, and normally keep the revs below 5000. ninjamon

#9 ·
do all of you guys fill up at around 200 miles or do you wait for the bike to hit reserve. and i read in the other posts that cruising is at around 6000-7000, is that correct because everytime i ride i feel like switching at around 4.5, are our bikes really high rev machines and keeping under reved would be a bad thing. ive let people drive my car and dont realize that my exhaust makes it louder and they switch at 2.5k which is under reving, like ready to die kinda under reving.

#10 ·
captb said:
do all of you guys fill up at around 200 miles or do you wait for the bike to hit reserve. and i read in the other posts that cruising is at around 6000-7000, is that correct because everytime i ride i feel like switching at around 4.5, are our bikes really high rev machines and keeping under reved would be a bad thing. ive let people drive my car and dont realize that my exhaust makes it louder and they switch at 2.5k which is under reving, like ready to die kinda under reving.
I usually fill up just at the 300K (186 miles) mark or shortly after which would be just about were my reserve would be. As per RPM's I find my bike likes cruising around 6500.

#12 ·
i fill up at about 200-220 miles, not hitting reserve yet (on the '90 anyway, still seeing what i can get the '01 to do). at 50 the cruise is approx 4k rpm, and that is NOT underrevving. i find that the bikes are comfortable anywhere from about 3k and above. it's all in how your throttle input is: you can't sit at 2,500 or 3,000 and immediately go WOT, you've got to finesse it from there so you don't lug the motor. if i'm feeling good, i'll keep the revs up and make 'er get up and go... but even then there's not much point, if all i'm going to do is be capped off by the speed limit. even in 2nd, revving high will get me to the speed limit... then i'm just ticking off 4 more gears to go to cruise. if you're talking about highway speeds, sure, 6-7k is normal and acceptable. i got mid 50s on my way home, and that was with a 15t front sprocket instead of 16t. i don't beat my bikes, and don't intend to. i'll give them some throttle from time to time, but if i really want to ride them hard i'll invest in some leathers, and get some track time.

#13 ·
I have been getting 60 during the 4K rpm break in period. Updates to follow.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.