Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a bad thing. Well, not really. It was hot and I pushed the bike around a lot to prevent overheating while waiting in line for the drills. What the instructors could do with full dressed cruisers was pretty cool. Actually they performed all the drills using the variety of bikes that showed up, cruisers, repliracers, custom choppers. Anyway the bad part was a drill were you first accelerated down a straight, slowed then went thru a 130 degree turn into a quick right then left and down a straight again, then reverse the pattern. What was bad about it you say? Well I got rid of my chicken strips completely on the front, almost gone on the rear, developed a greater confidence in my tires and now have to look into trackdays since that kind of behaviour is unacceptable for me on the street. So much for the economics of this bike! Why are there no tracks in NY?

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's a bummer when practicallity becomes fun, kinda gets in the way ;)

I'll have to look into that when I have more experience.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Overheating? really, even with the fan?
I did the course on my CB360 in a constant freezing, pour-down rain... everyone there was miserable the entire time. I was the only non-cruiser there, and because of these guys fear of falling and scratching something that said "HD" on it, I and the instructors were the only ones really doing the exercises as they were intended. The weather was frustrating, but I think I'll take the experienced course every year as a re-fresher-- it was definitely worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK it never overheated, but why sit there with the fan running constantly. There were people there who let their bikes run the whole time. The folks on air cooled bikes were concerned. One bike wouldn't start, once shut off. I suspect that their battery wasn't in great shape. I don't know how well the charging system works at idle. I know that output of the alt was of concern when I was trying to figure out how many watts I could draw for heated clothes. An after market alternator rep hinted that output was either reduced or was nil below 4k. I didn't want to have to worry about it. It wasn't a big deal waddling around on the bike. Good exercise...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't recall how much experience is recommended prior to taking the class. I would highly recommend it though. If for no other reason than to have someone point out your bad habits, ahem, like 2 fingers on the brakes, and they didn't like my trail braking either.

·
Registered
722 Posts
3k doesnt take that long to put on, I'd have gotten there in uner 2 months, if I didnt have this damned broken shifting foot. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts