Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of discussions on this forum about various after market systems for the exhaust. My position on them is well known so I won't belabor that, I just want to point out some interesting development I have become aware of.

Noise; Most towns and cities already have anti noise ordinances on the books, but for whatever reasons fail to enforce them. But it is safe to say that every altered exhaust system is in violation of one or more of these ordinances and someday they will start to do just that. Even most race tracks are under some noise restriction or other. and require a maximum DB sound test for all racers.

Restrictive ordinances: In most rural Comunities ATVs including motorcycles are very restricted to only place that are specifically allowed. or on private property with the written permission of the land owner. The complaint is Noise and the tearing up of the land that the ATV commercials show as such great fun.

Federal regulations: All Motor vehicles need to pass Federal regulations in order to be certified for sale in the US. Form that premise any alteration of those federally mandated regulations constitutes a violation of Federal law. Read the fine print on you bikes stock muffler. even the print on most after market systems , that say for Off road use only.
Again, as the immigration laws the feds have chosen to ignore enforcing those laws very much, But an interesting development. The feds have been putting pressure on the Manufactures and their dealership organization to start enforcing these laws through placing penalties for selling , servicing such altered vehicles.
My Kuboto dealership wold not even let me take my tractor off the trailer for warranty service because I had disabled the seat switch that shuts the engine off when you raise your butt. The dealer explained that Kubota would yank their franchise if such an alter tractor was found in their shop.

Generally speaking if you choose to alter you bike exhaust in any way. a wise move would be to retain the standard stuff to put back on to do whatever.

I don't forsee and new enforcement of these regs by a new set of noise Nazis but.
States will: Have routine inspections that will fail you for an altered system
Prohibit the sale of such altered vehicles. or the registration of same.

Think about it every time you rip down the street with loud mufflers, about how many votes you just guaranteed for the new rules .

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Agreed. People can cry for their supposed right to be noisy all they want, but the law, and rules of respect for the rights of others, comes down on the side of quiet.

Incidentally, the Sports Car Club of America has a noise ruling. This one is for their Solo autocross as found on one club's website, CKR SCCA:

"NOISE CONTROL: All cars are highly encouraged to have adequate mufflers. Your car must be quieter than 98dbA measured at 100 feet away at a place where the car is under full throttle. If noise becomes an issue at any of the sites, CKR reserves the right to amend our noise rules at any time with notice posted to the CKR website."

·
Registered
722 Posts
Alabama doesn't have noise ordinances and only 1 city I know of has one. Also we don't have emissions testing so they don't care. And progressive has given me insurance on it, up to $1000.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but right after they make you put shoes on to go into the food stores, they'll start thinking about it.

FOG

·
Registered
223 Posts
Agreed, I'm not a big fan of the noise. I bought my ex with a muzzy and it was defiantly louder than I would like. I did a repack a week ago with silent sport attempting to tone it down a bit for the 6:45am commuter warm-up (live in a town house development and not making friends with that pipe) and it helped quite a bit. Seems to be getting better with time. Its not silent by any means but considerably better. I think is sounds better too.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jason said:
FOG said:
Yeah but right after they make you put shoes on to go into the food stores, they'll start thinking about it.

FOG
arkansas isn't much different. :p

and I wear shoes. :(
That would be A rkansas.

FOG

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
ohio doesnt have inspection :) only in cleveland and i think cincinnati too... not in columbus though :)

i think they dont really enforce them because in any city of good size, the police have much more pressing business than a loud car or bike driving down the street. now maybe if you go out into the country and get some barney fife who doesnt do jack all day except sit in his car and watch his a$$ grow, maybe he would ticket you... then again, the worst offense he has probably seen in his years is 75 in a 55... he has nothing better to do than enforce traffic offenses.

we had 109 murders last year, rapes, crack dealers, gangs etc etc etc... Columbus police dont really have the time to waste writing a 30 dollar "fix it" ticket for a loud exhaust, when there are real crimes going on that they should be taking care of.

My Kuboto dealership wold not even let me take my tractor off the trailer for warranty service because I had disabled the seat switch that shuts the engine off when you raise your butt.
curious as to why you disabled that switch?

·
Registered
34 Posts
mhess19 said:
...I bought my ex with a muzzy and it was defiantly louder than I would like. I did a repack a week ago with silent sport attempting to tone it down a bit...
The first owner put a muzzy on the bike I just got. Second owner never saw the original equipment. I'm third.

Can you tell me more (or point me to on-line resources) about repacking? Thanks!

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
curious as to why you disabled that switch?

Well it make the tractor impossible to use. Everytime you bounce your butt up off the seat or twist around to see what your implement is doing it shuts off the engine. When changing implements on the three point hitch it's necessary to be off the machine to jiggle everything together and often raise and/or lower the hitch, for this the engine needs to run, so either it take two people, one sitting on the seat to keep the engine running, or you disable the switch. which amounts to the same thing.
The point is of course safety or big brother looking out for you.
My point in bringing it up is to show how the feds will enforce the muffler and tampering laws in the future, especially if the Democratic crazies get elected.

FOG

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
ROFL @ democratic crazies... the republican crazies are just as bad... ::) you do realize that this administration has resulted in one of the LARGEST governments ever... even though the true republican platform is for SMALLER government, and less government interference in our daily lives. also, democratic "crazies". dont you know ad hominem is fallacious? but thats another thread...

i really dont think the feds are going to start busting people for exhaust violations... maybe, but doubtful... just like the cops, the government has much bigger things to worry about. thats why the delegate power to the states. according to the constitution, there are only three federal crimes. everything else should be delegated to the states... yet we still have federal laws, even though we really shouldnt.

but like i said, i think they'd keep that one to the states...

back to the kubota, youre right, the point of that switch is safety, if you fall off you dont want to get run over by your bushog...

but i thought it only killed the engine if the PTO was engaged? at least its that way on my kubota. if the PTO is on, then yeah the engine dies if i get off the seat, but if its not engaged, then IIRC, it keeps running...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
dragknee said:
i really don't think the feds are going to start busting people for exhaust violations... maybe, but doubtful... just like the cops, the government has much bigger things to worry about.
Police is on a personal vendetta against sports bikes around here, they even tries real hard to give tickets if your bike is bone stock.. They can pull you off the road and keep you there easily for 15 to 30 minutes.. And these are motorcycle cops too... It looks like they are there only to piss us off.. It's totally out of the question for me to put anything else than stock on my commuter.

Oh yeah, they think about raising the price of the bike registration from 320$/year to over 1000$/year.. Just to be able to put a license plate on the bike.. Man our society has gone wrong..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey SkyGuy
The repack is easy, I think it was 1/8" rivits and the packing of your choice (muzzy have there own if you hit there site or I used the silent sport from area P ( http://www.areapnolimits.com/silentsport.html) no online ordering just give them a call)

Remove the can from the bike, drill out the rivet heads then you'll need to knock whats left in to get them out of the way. Yank the end caps off and remove the existing packing and the core. Clean everything as well as you can, I used a wire brush. The repack depends on what you use, either wrap the pack back around the core/tape and reassemble or in my case I assembled the front, inserted the core and pushed the packing in around (its loose packing) and cap, re-rivet and put the pipe back on.

I was surprised at how bad the original packing was - about 1/3 was completely blown out which might explane why my pipe was so nasty loud.

Forgot to mention in the orig post, you have to seal it with high temp auto silicone when you reassemble as well.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Got a friend in Colorado who got pulled over and ticketed for "altered exhaust." He paid $100.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is not very common around here to get pulled over for a loud muffler - but when you get pulled over for another offense and you are obnoxious to the nice officer he will take the opportunity to write you tickets for improper turn signals, improper license plate mounting, muffler, and god-knows what else. Best to say thank you, sir when he hands you the speeding ticket.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When they get serious, the bike is towed to a impound yard and stays there till you bring it into compliance. Yes dangling on the hook on the back of the tow truck.

FOG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts