Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has ever had any trouble with Johnny Law and their aftermarket pipes. I've got a Muzzy 2 into 1 on my '97 EX500. I usually pull in the clutch and shift up when I see a popo just so I don't have to deal with getting hassled. Curious if anyone has had any issues. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Well, if you live in a state or municipality that enforces a noise restriction, then they have every right to inspect it for compliance.  however if harley riders can fart around all day makin' noise without raising the ire of the local law enforcement officials, then you're certainly safe.

an ex500 i can hear a block away.  a harley i can hear across the city.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could probably get in trouble, I've gotten nabbed a couple times for a loud car stereo. Never gotten hassled for my 40 series Flowmasters on my 70 Monte Carlo though!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally, I've not been pulled over on my bike for exhaust beeing too loud, and I've not heard a louder street bike with my own ears. I once got a ticket for not having a muffler on my old car (acura integra) but it only resulted from driving up a parking garage right next to the police station. It was basically the worlds biggest noise maker. I don't know of any vehicle noise restrictions where I am, only some sort of muffler is actually mandatory.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My friend who lives in Colorado got ticketed for "altered exhaust." Apparently, it is illegal in that state (and many others) to even change the exhaust from stock. Loudness is a factor, but you should check your state's local laws concerning exhaust and loudness (mine is like 105 dBa).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm known in the group of rider friends here as the guy with the loud ass exhaust. It's always funny to get a reaction, becuase they don't expect an EX to sound like that when I press start. But it's usually in a good way, not a "dude Naumy's bike is sooo annoying."

I've passed a million cops and they never say anything. If you're doing something else illegal and they are a jerk they'll be like "BY THE WAY" - but yeah its pretty much unenforced law up in these parts..

Plus I always drop Ike Clannon's line from Tombstone on the LEO's here:

"Lissen reeeel good mister san fren-sis-ko law dog..... law don' go 'roun here... savvy ??? "

works every time!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Too loud??? "When its too loud your too old!" IMO

I don't think its that bad actually... The Muzzy on my bike can be heard as far as 3 to 4 blocks away if your raping it! Just cruising it fades away in under a 2 blocks! Compaired to the exhaust on my Camaro or My Cobalt SS its nothing!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, too old? I'm only 24... I was just curious about other people's experience and opinion on the topic... Although I do find it hard to believe your Cobalt is louder than your EX... but I haven't heard either. I have, however, heard my EX and it's WAY louder than my Chevy Monte Carlo w/ a built 350 and full Flowmaster 40 series exhaust! Oh well, thanks for the response at any rate!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I say you install a really loud stereo system on your bike that is louder than your new
pipes that way at least you won't get a ticket for the exhaust...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, if there was a feasible way to rig one up I just might!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
a.lee.hagen said:
LOL, if there was a feasible way to rig one up I just might!
check here : Ebay auction : 170085087136

·
Registered
199 Posts
those "bike stereos" are beyond stupid.

every guy I have seen in the city here with one is named gaRy. with a silent R.

but yeah I set off alarms when my exhaust goes by. pwnz. ;D

·
Registered
90 Posts
^I managed to do this once too! Funny sh*t!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I set off a car alarm last week, I was at a stop light and my cousin was in his cage behind me and just to be funny I revved the engine, then an alarm goes off which made it even funnier!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts