Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first owner of my '92 added a Muzzy header/exhaust system. The way it's routed underneath eliminates the centerstand. Anyone know of a modified stand or bracket that can work with such an exhaust?

If not, how do you recommend propping up the bike for maintenance? The pipes would be in the way of a lift. Track stands require adding spindles to the rear axle, right? And doesn't a track stand compress the rear suspension where a centerstand won't?

Looking for any ideas...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't have a centerstand w/ my V&H, I just use an automotive jack on the swingarm and toss a jack stand on the other side, it's a complecated manuveur but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Can you have both?

Yes , as long as you don't put them on your bike.
Your better off with the stand than the Muzzy thingy.

FOG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any aftermarket dual exhausts? Or, what's the most cost effective way to get back to stock? I priced OEM exhaust parts and they're over $800. I got a centerstand for $5, but don't think it's worth $800 just to get the centerstand back.

The guy parting out the bike I got the centerstand from has stock pipes, but they're badly rusted. Can rusted pipes be renovated?

Guess I'll keep my eye out for parts bikes...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
For renovating pipes, well you can always get a new cover made at a metal shop.

For aftermarket exhausts, there are the sarachu pipes that are liked by many but are still pretty pricey.

There is a thread going on right now about fitting cheap resonators (around 30$ each) instead of new cans.

Or checking part bikes can be a good option :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Get a swing-arm stand. Two little rubber cups fit under each side of the swing arm, and you prop the rear wheel up that way. I might have a pic here somewhere... yeah. And my bike is much cleaner now. :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
348 Posts
The one for the front is called a fork stand.

I recommend getting both stands, as you'll have both wheels off the ground, and clearance beyond what even the center-stand could give you. For the pair, I paid $98.99 + S&H. They're being sold by user FlyNCycle on eBay.

Go to this link: http://stores.ebay.com/Fly-N-Cycle
Type in the search: swing arm spools
And uncheck the box "in titles & descriptions"
Click Search

Will be your first result.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I wouldn't ind having a single muffler fust to be able to use one of my helmet locks ( still not sure what Kawi was thinking here) but untill I find one on e-bay or where ever VERY cheap it aint happening!as far as the original question , just keep checking e-bay and craigs list man you can find part bike cheaper that new replacement mufflers !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Frog said:
There is a thread going on right now about fitting cheap resonators (around 30$ each) instead of new cans.
Can you post a link to that?

Z

·
0 Posts
We also have a Muzzy installed from the previous owner and no center stand.

Go ahead, call me cheap but I just use a couple of 6" x 6" x length? wooden blocks under each side of the swingarm when I'm doing maintenance on it. Works great and sturdy as anything (I had these left over from building a porch roof).

I simply lift the rear and have my son slide the blocks under. For as often as I need to put it on the center stand, it doesn't seem worth it to me to buy a rear stand. That and my garage is so full now, it's one less thing to take up more room.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts