1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to start..........
Bought this bike last fall for 500

It had been sitting in a garage for almost 2 years so it needed a little TLC
Carbs were absolutely gunked so I rebuilt those. Runs great!
It had been dropped a few times so on with the body work, paint, and parts
Hole was punched in cover from brake pedal, scored one on e-bay for $15
New chain, left handle bar, grips, speedo, tach, seat cover, headlight, blinkers, fender eliminator, mirrors, paint job, cables, tires, gas cap, filters (added in line fuel filter), brakes, along with some others. I am not quite finished yet. but here she is so far.

Couple of questions.The gas cap flange is raised off the gas tank,is that normal? and any suggestions on new mufflers
I will post up more pictures as I make progress. Still have a ways to go but just got my endorsement so I wanna RIDE!!!!
Thanks,
Hope all you magnificent bastards are staying safe!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Great progress! are those rizoma signals and mirrors? I just put a set on mine, need to figure out the tail tidy for mine and what I want to do there.

Are you looking for muffler only or a full exhaust? Cobra F1's are nice, if you wanted to do a 2 to 1 there is also a nice Hindle option. Delvek seems to be popular (but loud to me).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great progress! are those rizoma signals and mirrors? I just put a set on mine, need to figure out the tail tidy for mine and what I want to do there.

Are you looking for muffler only or a full exhaust? Cobra F1's are nice, if you wanted to do a 2 to 1 there is also a nice Hindle option. Delvek seems to be popular (but loud to me).

Thanks! Mirrors and signals are just some "universal" ones. the fender eliminator came from Competition werkes. I am just looking for mufflers. I was considering doing a 2 to 1 but, I would assume there will be re-jetting involved?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was going to suggest some oven paint, er high temperature paint, for the mufflers before seeing that you want to replace. I originally had something with a red F1 sticker on it on mine, and I was really happy to revert to stock where there was torque and less cacophony.
I'm not sure how well the new paint color is captured, but I love it when colors with some complexity are chosen. This doesn't appear to be a military olive or a racing green, but a trickier shade.

Oh, and that gas cap issue sounds familiar to me, but I'll let someone else confirm how common/normal it is.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Congrats on keeping that thing on the road, always good to see another gen1, and a 1990 no less (own one myself:) ) still out riding with the owner putting some good work into it.

As for mufflers and exhaust, you've got a number of options out there. Hands down my favorite is factory header pipes with Cobra F1's. Unfortunately, they're rare as hen's teeth these days. Check the For Sale section here though, there was a member selling a set in excellent condition not long ago, unsure if they have sold yet. Cobra F1R's are even rarer yet, good luck finding a set of those.
Delkevic, I believe, is the only company still selling brand new mufflers for the EX (those ebay special Coffman shorties don't count). They're good quality but as mentioned, a bit loud. They also look out of place on the gen1's.
For 2-1 systems, there's a few older ones out there. Muzzy is a popular choice. I think D&D also made a full system as did Vance and Hines. A Supertrapp would perfect the 80's look of the gen1. I have a Muzzy, Vance and Hines (I think, I'll check later) and a Supertrapp, all 2-1's, on the shelf available if you want. I am not, however, parting ways with either my Cobra F1 or F1R's.
I didn't have to re-jet for the Supertrapp but can't say the same for the other two systems I have, never used them before.

To your question about the gas cap, yes it does normally sit a bit proud of the gas cap mount ring. You'll know if it's not sealing because with a full tank, fuel will seep out from around the cap over bumps.

One more thing, it looks to me like your instrument cluster is just resting in place not attached yet. If you're looking for ideas on attaching the stock cluster, I have an idea for your plus a picture, if I can find it, of how I did it years ago with the gen1 I built for my brother.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Exhaust wise, I've got a Delkevic 2-1 with the longest muffler (450mm long) on my gen 2, I don't find it particularly loud with the dB killer in, about as loud as the standard exhaust with a blow. Also, no re-jetting, works as well as before.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on keeping that thing on the road, always good to see another gen1, and a 1990 no less (own one myself:) ) still out riding with the owner putting some good work into it.

As for mufflers and exhaust, you've got a number of options out there. Hands down my favorite is factory header pipes with Cobra F1's. Unfortunately, they're rare as hen's teeth these days. Check the For Sale section here though, there was a member selling a set in excellent condition not long ago, unsure if they have sold yet. Cobra F1R's are even rarer yet, good luck finding a set of those.
Delkevic, I believe, is the only company still selling brand new mufflers for the EX (those ebay special Coffman shorties don't count). They're good quality but as mentioned, a bit loud. They also look out of place on the gen1's.
For 2-1 systems, there's a few older ones out there. Muzzy is a popular choice. I think D&D also made a full system as did Vance and Hines. A Supertrapp would perfect the 80's look of the gen1. I have a Muzzy, Vance and Hines (I think, I'll check later) and a Supertrapp, all 2-1's, on the shelf available if you want. I am not, however, parting ways with either my Cobra F1 or F1R's.
I didn't have to re-jet for the Supertrapp but can't say the same for the other two systems I have, never used them before.

To your question about the gas cap, yes it does normally sit a bit proud of the gas cap mount ring. You'll know if it's not sealing because with a full tank, fuel will seep out from around the cap over bumps.

One more thing, it looks to me like your instrument cluster is just resting in place not attached yet. If you're looking for ideas on attaching the stock cluster, I have an idea for your plus a picture, if I can find it, of how I did it years ago with the gen1 I built for my brother.

Thanks! I think for now I am going to paint the exhaust with some header paint for now so I can get some riding time in. I originally wanted to tear the whole bike down and recondition/replace the whole bike. I will say that she is in great shape considering the two drops and sitting as long as it did. As far as the gauges go I have this one from cognito moto. I just received the new speedo cable from motion pro today (had to have one custom made that was 6" longer due to the new speedo being higher than stock gauges). I doubt I will get to that this week. I would be interested in what you did to your brothers bike non the less. 20200528_185853.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to suggest some oven paint, er high temperature paint, for the mufflers before seeing that you want to replace. I originally had something with a red F1 sticker on it on mine, and I was really happy to revert to stock where there was torque and less cacophony.
I'm not sure how well the new paint color is captured, but I love it when colors with some complexity are chosen. This doesn't appear to be a military olive or a racing green, but a trickier shade.

Oh, and that gas cap issue sounds familiar to me, but I'll let someone else confirm how common/normal it is.

Believe it or not the paint job was done with Krylon Fusion rattle cans. The color was spanish moss. I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome and yes, I think I will be using some header paint on the exhaust for now. As well as replace the gaskets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where to start..........
Bought this bike last fall for 500 View attachment 51855
New chain, left handle bar, grips, speedo, tach, seat cover, headlight, blinkers, fender eliminator, mirrors, paint job, cables, tires, gas cap, filters (added in line fuel filter), brakes, along with some others. I am not quite finished yet. but here she is so far. View attachment 51867 View attachment 51868 View attachment 51869
Couple of questions.The gas cap flange is raised off the gas tank,is that normal? and any suggestions on new mufflers
I will post up more pictures as I make progress. Still have a ways to go but just got my endorsement so I wanna RIDE!!!!
Thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where to start..........
Bought this bike last fall for 500 View attachment 51855
New chain, left handle bar, grips, speedo, tach, seat cover, headlight, blinkers, fender eliminator, mirrors, paint job, cables, tires, gas cap, filters (added in line fuel filter), brakes, along with some others. I am not quite finished yet. but here she is so far. View attachment 51867 View attachment 51868 View attachment 51869
Thanks,
Hey man, I just recently picked up a 1989 ninja ex-500 with 1600 miles on her. Great bike but needs some work. And like you did i just rebuilt the carb today since it wouldnt even start and a jet with stripped. Anyways, can you tell me where you got all your new parts from? I’m not exactly sure what’s compatible with gen 1 parts or if there is someplace specific to look. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Ckrasnek, great to see a fellow gen 1 rider. Most of the mechanical parts came from Revzilla. The cables came from Motion Pro. Some parts I used Partsfish (has exploded views of the whole bike with P/N's) to get the part numbers then look online for that particular part, and a couple came from E-bay as well. What parts are you looking for might I ask?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey man, I just recently picked up a 1989 ninja ex-500 with 1600 miles on her. Great bike but needs some work. And like you did i just rebuilt the carb today since it wouldnt even start and a jet with stripped. Anyways, can you tell me where you got all your new parts from? I’m not exactly sure what’s compatible with gen 1 parts or if there is someplace specific to look. Thanks!
You can always post in the WTB section in the forums too, lots of parts available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Ckrasnek, great to see a fellow gen 1 rider. Most of the mechanical parts came from Revzilla. The cables came from Motion Pro. Some parts I used Partsfish (has exploded views of the whole bike with P/N's) to get the part numbers then look online for that particular part, and a couple came from E-bay as well. What parts are you looking for might I ask?
Im mostly curious as to where parts could be found in general. As an example, Friday i took her on the first highway run and the rear caliper piston blew out. Figured might as well find a whole new caliper since it looked really bad anyways and I could only find one on ebay and it took two people to find it. Im not sure what else might need replacing yet, but since the bike didnt get used a lot who know if anything got bad just by it sitting there. Im new to forums and just trying to know what parts are compatible with whatever gen and if aftermarket parts are even sold at this point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rear brake caliper you say? Sounds like you have a gen 2 brakes. The gen 1 has a drum in the rear. Have any pics?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's gen 1 rearbrakes View attachment 51940

here's gen 2 rear brakes View attachment 51941

Looks like maybe that is a front brake caliper on the rear? do you have 17" or 16" wheels?
16” tires and stock rims. I didnt know if it was normal for the brakes to be like that because the only other motorcycle ive rode was a honda shadow and it had mechanical brakes. Is this supposed to have that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
16” tires and stock rims. I didnt know if it was normal for the brakes to be like that because the only other motorcycle ive rode was a honda shadow and it had mechanical brakes. Is this supposed to have that?

Yes, gen 1 ex 500's have a mechanical drum brake for the rear. I have seen guys mod the gen 2 rears on gen 1's but I am not exactly sure what that consists of and event then the rear caliper on the gen 2 is a single piston. There are threads for pretty much everything on this site from the mods to the how to do, sometimes it can take a while to find just what you need. Have any detailed pics of your new ride?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts