Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 89 EX500 project (Updated 2/18/2020) Fixed pictures!

Thought I'd go a head and start a thread for my "work in progress"
Picked the bike up for cheap. 4600 miles on her. Poor thing has been sitting for a long time. When she wasn't sitting, she was being ridden by someone who probably shouldn't of even got on a motorcycle. Evident by the cracked front fairing, and various other scuffs, and scraps on both sides of the bike. Gas tank needed a severe overhaul. So it got the POR-15 treatment(which I would recommend to anyone with a rusty tank)Carbs were cleaned and synced. Had a few issues, but got those squared away. Went to take my first little test ride up the street, and there went the flywheel magnets. ::) Have a 2nd gen one ready to go in once my new oil pan gasket and starter chain come in. Crossing my fingers for a test ride this weekend. ;D

Couple pics from the night I brought her home.

As she sits currently waiting for parts. Not a fan of the white and gold, already stripped off most of the decals. Replaced the front fairing, and chopped off the rear fender. Still need to fab a bracket for the turn signals and license plate. Other things I need are new tires, chain and sprockets. Plan on upgrading to the 650 mirrors, adding bar ends, grips, a tank pad, new seat cover, and new levers. Not to mention a good clean up, and a paint job.

Few crappy corel painter renderings of what I'd like her to look like when all is said and done. For the most part anyway. I'll have different turn signals on the front, and obviously some on the rear. Opinions welcome! :)

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Re: My 89 EX500 project

Don't see too many of these around, I like stock, would love to see it get fully restored in the stock colors, I have stock fetish, always did, probably always will.

I have the black and red version of this. Its a keeper for life.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

I, too, have a gen1 (1990), and just like Florida here, black and red. Good luck fixing it up, the gen1's are getting harder and harder to find these days.
By the way, I was noticing that your new front fairing lacks the standard mounting holes for front turn signals, leading me to believe that you've obtained an aftermarket fairing. Where did you manage to pick that up from?

- David

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Saabnut said:
I, too, have a gen1 (1990), and just like Florida here, black and red. Good luck fixing it up, the gen1's are getting harder and harder to find these days.
By the way, I was noticing that your new front fairing lacks the standard mounting holes for front turn signals, leading me to believe that you've obtained an aftermarket fairing. Where did you manage to pick that up from?

- David
Actually it's a stock fairing, it came from a parts bike I bought. Previous owner had filled in the turn signal holes on it. So I'm just going with some stalk turn signals. There is after market fairings, can't remember what the name of the website was, but they are pricey! Way out of my budget.
I prefer the gen 1's. Something about the straighter lines of it I think. I love classic cars too.
Should have the starter chain and flywheel in tomorrow. I'm really hoping for a test ride on Saturday. If all goes well she'll be coming apart for a major cleaning while I save up for the rest of the parts I need. Really hoping to have her all done next season sometime. I miss being on a bike.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

Looks nice, I really dig the two-tone seat. Personally I like the wheels in the bottom rendering the best. My gen 1 does not have a lower fairing so I'm searching for one.

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am the stig said:
Looks nice, I really dig the two-tone seat. Personally I like the wheels in the bottom rendering the best. My gen 1 does not have a lower fairing so I'm searching for one.
I did the two tone seat with my 250 too, really liked how it looked, so figured I'd do it again, lol. Mine didn't have the lower fairing either, but I got one on ebay. Just have to wait for a decent priced one to pop up. There are a few people on there selling some, but they are crazy with the price. Even 70 bucks for one that is cracked, and missing a few peices. :eek:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

Cool, I'll PM you, thanks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So I pulled the oil pan yesterday, just to check for magnet bits. Didn't find any of those, but I did find quite a bit of sludge. More than likely from it sitting so long. Did find some chunks of epoxy from the flywheel in there too. Oil pump screen needed a good cleaning too. Cleaned everything up and put her back together. Pulled the oil filter off, and attempted to put a new one on. I picked one up from the dealer when I was there last week, and go figure they gave me the wrong one. So today's mission is to go to the local auto parts store and pick up a filter. Crossing my fingers that everything goes fine when I go to start her up. I triple checked everything as I putting her all back together, but most of my knowledge is cars, so I'm a bit leery. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

InvisiBill said:
http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php?title=Oil_Filter_Cross_Reference has item numbers for the proper filter in just about every brand. It's a pretty common size used on a lot of bikes and smaller cars.
I've done a little bit more digging. It is the proper number on the filter, but it won't screw on. It starts to, and then gets tight. A Fram PH6010A fits perfect, but I notice in the wiki it calls for PH6017A. Strange. ??? Don't know what the deal with that is, but I'll stick with what I know fits.

EDIT:Figured it out. The threads are a tiny bit messed up on the end, so you have to have the filter basically perfectly straight and it will thread right on. It's on there now, and all filled up with oil. Have some other things to do before I try to fire it up, and hopefully, finally get a test ride in.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Got my lower cowling brackets today. So I got the cowling on, and attempted for the 3rd time to take a test ride. Victory! Lol. She ran great! Took about a month, and a few set backs, but I finally got to go for a ride. ;D Now I just need turn signals......and registration, insurance, inspection, all that good stuff, lol. Ride her for what's left of the season, then the tear down and clean process begins. Here's a pic from after our little spin around the block. I seriously did a little happy dance when I got back. :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Got her out of the garage to join the rest of the crew in the driveway.

Hubby's 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
My Ninja
Bro in laws(previously mine)05 Ninja 250
My cousins Honda Superhawk. Can't remember what year it is.

Better pick of my previous pride and joy. Lots of appearance mods done to the 250. She started out with those ugly orange stripes.

·
Registered
667 Posts

Congrats on the first spin around the block!

Looking at that 250 makes me REALLY wish that the 500 was just a slightly bigger version of it (aesthetically speaking)....they really are such a classic, good looking machine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

CAPSLOCK said:
Congrats on the first spin around the block!

Looking at that 250 makes me REALLY wish that the 500 was just a slightly bigger version of it (aesthetically speaking)....they really are such a classic, good looking machine.
I thought it was pretty ugly when I first got it, lol. Navy blue with orange stripes, yuck. They look pretty similar to me, at least the 1st gens. Biggest difference I notice just sitting on the 500 is that damn kick stand. I still screw up every once in a while when putting it up or down. Still used to the 250.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Finally got the bike legal, and put turn signals on it. Then what happens.....rain. I did get to take her out around the neighborhood for a bit Thursday. Hubby made a "bracket" for the rear signals and plate. Still needs to be painted. Figured that could be done when I pull the bike apart over the winter. I'd rather be able to ride while we still have a bit of summer left. I spliced into the running lights on the tail, so I have running lights in the front and back.

Pics:(might as well call her "Oreo" for now, lol)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Re: My 89 EX500 project (Updated 6/5)

It's been a while since I've updated, but really haven't done much to the bike over the winter. Nothing to be exact. But I did pull the bike apart for a paint job a few days ago. Going with cheaper paint for the time being. But here's progress so far.

All took apart. Rims are going to be painted at a later date, since I need tires anyway. Why take the wheels off twice.

No more gold stripe.

Base coat of black.

Purrty blue

Right before the mishap

And after the wire broke that was holding it :(

Currently working on fixing the tank. One more coat of blue today, then panels are going back on the bike to map out the stripes.

·
Registered
47 Posts

That sucks about the tank. I was super nervous about dropping mine, so I painted it on the ground.

I'm a sucker for white bikes, but so far I like the blue!

A

·
0 Posts

OMG it was Vipers Twin :eek:

Very suck on the wire break :(

1 - 20 of 224 Posts