Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I recently bought my first bike, which is a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500R. I believe that is known as the ex500r on this forum. Anyways, I took it out for a test drive and being the dumb person I am, left the choke on all the way so that the bike was idling at 3 to 5000 RPM as I was driving in first gear. I realized my mistake and turned the choke off so that it was idling around 1200 RPM. After stalling the bike a few times the oil pressure light came on so I decided to take it home. When I checked the oil level gauge, I could not see any at all and so I decided to do a full oil change just to be safe. After brand new fresh oil and a fresh oil filter, the bike still idles below about a thousand RPM and when it gets around 900 RPM it begins to knock. I have no idea how to solve this issue and I need some help.

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts
How much oil came out when you drained the sump during change?

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts
so the oil level is visible now in the window with the bike on center stand? Level checking is NOT done on sidestand, will always show as low.
If bike starting, idling at 1200, accepting throttle....no oil light on while running....if idling low 900....simply turn the idle up to 1200 and reevaluate, no?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Make sure the engine has warmed up properly before adjusting the idle speed.
If you knock off the choke too soon after starting the engine the idle speed will be very low, so go for a ride and get the engine thoroughly warmed up before checking the idle speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts