Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to see 2 bikes yesterday...

the 06, green, with sarachu pipes, smoked wind screen, fender eliminator 10000km, he dropped it once on the left side at like 10-15km/hr... so have a a scratch on the left fairing under the mirror...and also a one inch crack under the right side mirror. he wants 5000 for it, includes a helmet, but got to get new rear tires.

the 04, silver, girl owner, 6400km, very very new...asking for 5100, but probably negotiable...

dispite the damage on the 06, i still really like it, sound and color... but i know that its proabably not worth 5000 bucks... can someone talk me out of this?????

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'll try.
The mods add little or nothing to the value, the damage is substantial, the mileage up there for an '06 and it needs new tires? Give your head a shake. That isn't a good deal. Talk girlie down on the '04.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
listen to 2dogs :)

R

·
0 Posts
Between the two, take the Silver and talk her down. You can buy an after market pipe with the savings if you want the sound! Check gtamotorcycle.com, they often have EX's up for grabs, and cheaper than 5 g's too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I knew for sure I was going to replace mine in the next few weeks as planed you could have my 05 for $5000 just ordered the new rear tire today, current one is good for safety but I hit a piece of medal or something and put 2 little cuts in it. Dealership said its not a big deal but less than $70 for a tire why mess around

·
Registered
530 Posts
WOW!

I just punched that into a currency converter! That's an insane price on both bikes! I paid $5,386.85CAD (4800USD) for my 06 brand new OTD, and about 280.553CAD for aluminum Sarachus (250USD). Maybe prices are higher for taxes etc. but jeeze you should be able to do better than that. :-X

As stated earlier, the mods don't really add any value except to the owner (and you if you let them). I assume there's a "blue book" up there.. use that to judge, and don't let them con you with "upgrades". There will always be another bike to be found.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Usually bikes in the U.S. are cheaper, I thing OTD prices around here for an EX are around $7200 which is substantially higher than in the U.S. I think the market is just more competetive in the U.S. because more ppl ride down there.

Sonyminidiscman: To give you an idea on price, last year I paid $4100 for a 2001 with 14000km and a bald back tire. The cracks on the Green 06 should knock off atleast $400-500 from the price, that upper fairing costs $1100 from Goodtime Centre (I have a receipt I can show you!) plus the bald back tire is another $200, and with that mileage you should check the brake pads too. Happy bike shopping...Hold out for the ex, it's worth it, don't even think about a GS500!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Two weeks ago I purchased a top-notch 2000 with 16k on it, came safetied and tuned, for $3300CDN. I'd go with the silver and talk her down. She's probably $300-500 over what her minimum is.

PS. Lady-driven doesn't really mean what it used to these days. The first bike I bought was registered in the wife's name, but her husband did all the talking, selling, maintenance and, from what I can guess, driving. She played absolutely no part in the selling process. Besides, girl's can still be really aggressive :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hold out for the ex, it's worth it, don't even think about a GS500!
Ya I test rode both, the GS looks sporter and more up todate, but under all that plastic is a 30 year old design air cooled twin. Sure the EX looks its age but the liquid cooled 500 makes a lot more power then the GS and will run laps around the GS.

I thing OTD prices around here for an EX are around $7200
Yup that is about right for one year old stock, my 05 in June 06 was just short of $7200 OTD, an 06 would have been close to $8700 which in my mind is way too much for a 500cc bike. Drives me nuts when you see a sticker price than they add $250 to put it together $300 in adim fees to do the paper work and $90 PDI to make sure they put it together right ???

·
Registered
21 Posts
By the way, you might as well want to take a look a the dealershps.
If you're abouth ready to put out 5000$, I just saw 2 ex the other day
at a bike shop here in Montreal, two brand new 2006, they were selling
for 5,490$ !!! The guy said it's been sitting there for 2 years so they
really want to sell them. I'm even sure I could have bargained it a little.

I just paid 1,900$ for my 96 with 24000km on it and I was shocked
to see these two new bike going for such a low price.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1100 bucks for upper fairing?? ohly geezzz.......... ok, done....... i'll go talk the silver one down... going for 4500 bucks...show her cash.......

where is this montreal place, if i get a brand new bike for 5000+a little......i don't mind......

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dweese said:
Hold out for the ex, it's worth it, don't even think about a GS500!
Ya I test rode both, the GS looks sporter and more up todate, but under all that plastic is a 30 year old design air cooled twin. Sure the EX looks its age but the liquid cooled 500 makes a lot more power then the GS and will run laps around the GS.

haha, run laps around the GS, thats pretty funny........... yeah, but ex500 is the one and only choice...... insurance decided that for me!...

·
Registered
21 Posts
sonyminidiscman said:
where is this montreal place, if i get a brand new bike for 5000+a little......i don't mind......
Motosport NEWMAN.
There's a green one in the LaSalle shop and there's a yellow one
in the Greenfield Park shop. I'm not sure but the yellow one might be sold.

http://www.motosportnewman.com/

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you don't mind the age I got my 93 for $700 usd.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow, its true......... definetly not buy that modded green one for sure........... thanks so much. I for sure contact them... 5500 for a green new one.......sounds good to me...... maybe talk them down to 5500 taxincluded??

hey smokey... i don't think i want such an old bike... sorry... scared of find parts and stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
They've been using the same parts from 1987 to 2007..

Got a 1990 and all the parts are still available

·
Registered
270 Posts
exactly parts are parts when it comes to this old school

·
Registered
28 Posts
exactly parts are parts when it comes to this old school
You think they will ever update this bike? Really its not that old school they dropped the rear drum brake in 94, maybe a rework on the plastics and a single pipe, the engine still holds its own, DOHC and 4 valves per what more can you do to it, other then maybe FI over carbs but that would jump the price up too much.

Lets face it there is not a lot for entry level sprot bikes out there so I don't think you'll see it go away that would just leave the GS500 oh and the Honda CRB125R in Canada this year but a single 125cc @12hp and a top speed of 110km/h is not something I would ever want to ride on the street. However I bet they would be a fun little track bike ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts