Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, I think it's time for me to tell the tale about my crash.

These events happened late August of 2006.. at 3:15 am.

I came to work on my bike as usual that night (no parking fee downtown Montreal)

When my shift was done at 3:00 am I got out of work, put my gear on : Jacket, motocross gloves and my helmet..

That's right, no pants, no boots, no real motorcycle gloves..

And I went on my way, the same ride as usual, down the Metcalfe street, into the Ville-Marie tunnel going east, then Notre-Dame all the way down to my apartment (at that time).. Or so I thought..

The facts were different.. The entrance to Ville-Marie tunnel is a superb curve that goes left, with the proper camber (tilted left) with a tight entrance that opens progressively.

I wasn't leaning the bike very much, having a whopping 4 months of experience at that time so that night, I decided to go wider than usual and to lean the bike a bit more than what I'm used to.

Everything would've gone well if I would've remembered that there was a bump on the road caused by a an underground drain pipe that was slowly moving up from all those winter/summer temperature changes we know here..

That bump was maybe 1/2 an inch on the extreme left of the lane (the one I was used to) but it was getting bigger and bigger towards the right side of the street so much that it was actually sticking 3 inches and that's where I hit the infamous bump, while leaning on the bike..

As you can imagine, it didn't go too well.. Having the bike leaned to a point I never took my bike before and hitting a 3 inch tall bump sent me and my bike flying (I was doing between 50 to 70km/h, 70 being the limit). I was still sitting on it but as we spent more and more air time, the bike was leaning more and more... At that moment, I tried to get the bike vertically but no efforts from my part were reaching a positive conclusion... At some point I had to choose between continuing my inconclusive efforts (and probably get my left leg caught between my bike and the asphalt on the landing) or try to jump off and save myself.. Well I decided to hit the eject button and jumped off the bike trying to tuck and roll.

The roll part went OK, I rolled for maybe 20 ft and the bike slid for the equivalent length with sparks flying everywhere (quite a sight when your rolling in the dark). My helmet never touched the ground

I remember getting up as soon as I stopped rolling, looking for my shoes that went flying from my feet's.. I putted my shoes back on, just by stepping in them (they were still tied tight, adrenaline makes you do weird stuff) I walked to the outside of the curve as I was hidden from oncoming traffic since I rolled following the camber of the curve, I was in a blind spot inside.. Straight in the path of anyone coming back from any downtown bar at closing time...

My helmet didn't even hit the road, but my hands and my left knee where first to hit the tarmac.. Both my gloves were utterly destroyed, getting much skin off my fingers, my pants did not held too good and both my shoes were found through the debris like previously explained..

I had some of my colleagues that were done at the same time and they were going the same way as I was.. So they arrived a short minute after these events, when I was sitting on the outside curb near my bike. One called the ambulance while 2 others came and asked me if I was OK. My reply shook them a bit : ''Does anyone of you have a strong heart ?'' They know me and knew what was coming... I asked them to take a look at my left knee as it was starting to feel more than just an itch.. at that time, both of them took a step back, it was just like a comedy show, the 2 big mafia looking guys turning white and lighting their smoke in synch. Then I decided to take a look myself. I the low orange light of some lamp post, I saw something not too pleasant.. A big hole in my knee.. about the size of my kneecap.

It's about at that moment that the ambulance came in. The medic checked the situation and went picking the right stuff in the ambulance. I asked my colleagues to raise my bike (my 2 mafiosi looking buddies) as they were fixing me and I was worried they'd faint and take some of my medics attention away.. ;) I asked the guy who was now off the phone to help me get up and walk me around the bike so I could get an idea of my bike condition, all fluids were out, bent bars, scratched fairing, mostly in one piece.

I sat back on the curb and asked the medic that was just back from his ambulance to look in my new kneehole and asked him :

- Are those my bones I see in there ?

- Yes..

- Allright then, I'll take your lift to the hospital.

I was hoping throughout the whole time I could jump back on my bike and ride home :'(

Instead I went to the hospital, lucky me, 3 guys had a fight that turned out bad, some knives were involved. So those cases were using the ER so I had to wait a bit all taped up to those boards they use to carry peoples in ambulance...

That's when I started thinking how the heck am I getting out of here ? It's 4 in the morning, I called 2 buddies that do have a car and didn't work in 2 hours and they all came up with excuses... So I remembered that girl I met at a party 2 days before that told me that I could call her anytime, even in the middle of the night ;D I didn't knew if she had a car so I decided to give it a shot.

Guess what, she's prooven more reliable than everybody else, she came right over, in a cabbie, to provide both moral support and .. well, ahem ...to help me take a leak in one of those little cans they give you when you can't go to the restroom... It was quite a way to get those taboos off right away ;D She brought me back home, took care of getting my pills from the pharmacy and I've had my private nurse for the time it took me to heal... ;D

It took me about 6 weeks with a cane and had to change those bandages every 2 days..

Although were inseparable since that event, I am now only riding in full gear, even if it takes me longer to get dressed than to get to the grocery and back.

Do wear full gear guys, if it wouldn't be that I had experience jumping off a bumpy ride gone wrong (did some downhill moutain biking back in the days) the outcome could've easily been worst... Don't wait for this to happen to you, learn from my past mistakes.

I've fixed my ride, luckily the frame wasn't bent and I am now back on the streets :D

Ride safe.

Frog

·
Registered
221 Posts
Great post Frog, we can all learn from it.
Thanks for sharing what I'm sure was a difficult experience.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep looking on the bright side, it helps to heal faster :)

I made so many jokes on the ambulance ride, the medics were actually worried I was in shock or something.. until my colleagues told them that I'm always like that. ;D I'm pretty sure that they remember me to this day. Imagine that, you're coming to pick up a guy who just got into a motorcycle accident and instead of picking up an inert body, they get a stand up comic show, from a guy who laid down ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
1) Your shoes came off... but that's better then the mafia-pals saying you "died your boots on." (Old movie)

2) You didn't finish the story... WHAT ABOUT THAT GOOD GIRL?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yowza! Looking down and finding a hole that is not supposed to be there! Glad that you are back in the saddle again. Most days I ride back and forth to work in dress slacks so I know I'm going to have to get some overpants or chaps.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mad Matt => don't say it, do it, now !

MrSciTrek => We're living together since those events, in happily everafter in far far away land ;D

Her and I, this dates from Christmas Eve at my parents place... It didn't snowed until January 4th this year ???

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Oh MAN!
You oughta send that story in to Oprah or some magazine... Reader's Digest? True Romance?

That is too cool!

Sorry if I'm overly emotive... just got back from Spiderman 3. :'(

·
Registered
199 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Oh MAN!
You oughta send that story in to Oprah or some magazine... Reader's Digest? True Romance?

That is too cool!

Sorry if I'm overly emotive... just got back from Spiderman 3. :'(
If it's a good story why would he send it to those garbage places ??? ;D

... anyway that was quite a tale. That was pretty gross about seeing your bones dude. sheesh. it was funny that you said my "feets" hahahah.

sounds like a great girl, moments like this peoples real character comes out. Well that was a nice read after going to buy some clothes in my khaki's, skater shoes and motocross gloves. ROFL

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great story Frog. Three good things did come out of that experience for you though, 1 your still around to tell about it 2 you now go atgatt 3 you've a great girl.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
SoarAndEnvision said:
MrSciTrek said:
Oh MAN!
If it's a good story why would he send it to those garbage places ??? ;D
I know you're teasing (somewhat anyway).
It's a story that casts a positive light on cycling & quality people.
Because of the right-wrist, hyper-throttle-jockeys, cycling needs all the good PR it can get.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, tv and magazines are primarily oriented towards story with bad ending.

And the motorcyclists are getting bad press here, I'm sure it'll turn out bad.

Well all is not lost, I've got quite an Ironman reputation now.. Some gets quite a surprise when they see me all dressed up ;) They either think I'm nuts or some kind of daredevil or that I don't let anything get in my way.. The most populars being the first 2 ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Excellent story! I too liked the end (where you got the girl) :p. Does that story get told a lot when people ask how you met?

Frog said:
That's right, no pants, no boots, no real motorcycle gloves..
That's quite a turnaround. When it happened you were barefoot and pants-less (I know the breeze feels good, but CMON!), and now you fully promote gear. :p

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nick D said:
and now you fully promote gear. :p
Hitting a highly abrasive surface kind of puts stuff in perspective.

Changing bandages every 2 days for 2 months gets you thiking too ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Frog said:

I don't like fooling with band-aids, I'll pass on changing bandages. I really ought to find some chaps or something. Everytime I ride I know that my jeans won't do much in a laydown, and riding carefully might not carry through the rest of my riding career. Hmph, stupid common sense and reasoning.

·
Registered
177 Posts
First of all, great story. Glad you're around to tell it.

Nick D said:
Frog said:

Everytime I ride I know that my jeans won't do much in a laydown

Second, I don't mean to change the direction of the thread, but what do you know about the kevlar re-inforced pants? I bought a pair, they look just like regular jeans, but with a section (from upper knee to lower shin) of kevlar sewn in there. You know if they're legit? I just bought them cause the dude told me too, yeah...I know.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I haven't tried them out, but I think it'd depend on how the armor fits. It's going to be better than just denim, but if the armor is just in the pants - not attached to your leg somehow - and they're loose then it's likely that in a crash it'd just get pushed aside and then you'd be back to just denim.

How do they fit? I wondered about them myself but haven't found any local to try on.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Frog said:
Mad Matt => don't say it, do it, now !

MrSciTrek => We're living together since those events, in happily everafter in far far away land ;D

Her and I, this dates from Christmas Eve at my parents place... It didn't snowed until January 4th this year ???
Man you can be a millionair that wold make a great love storey, would be a great movie to watch...lol. well good thing you are still riding.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nick D said:
I haven't tried them out, but I think it'd depend on how the armor fits. It's going to be better than just denim, but if the armor is just in the pants - not attached to your leg somehow - and they're loose then it's likely that in a crash it'd just get pushed aside and then you'd be back to just denim.

How do they fit? I wondered about them myself but haven't found any local to try on.
Well they fit just like relaxed jeans. So, they are definately loose, but the kevlar wraps around the leg covering everything but the calf. But, I think you're right, if I started sliding they would move around, the kevlar would shift, and I'd be back to just denim. Well, at least it makes me feel safer...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I fell, the pants just ripped off.. From the inseam to the outside of my left knee, diagonally.. I catched a breeze on the ride home from the hospital..

do you feel that they could tear off just over the kevlar part leaving your leg exposed ?

Oh yeah, forgot to talk about my socks ... when I asked my girl to put them back on, the look she gave me was priceless ;D

- What socks ? Those were socks ? Are you sure you want them ?

She had only the part covering the ankle in her hands, the lower part of the socks were never to be found..

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
kkrause said:
Well they fit just like relaxed jeans. So, they are definately loose, but the kevlar wraps around the leg covering everything but the calf. But, I think you're right, if I started sliding they would move around, the kevlar would shift, and I'd be back to just denim. Well, at least it makes me feel safer...
But better than just blue jeans, regardless.

Frog said:
When I fell, the pants just ripped off.. From the inseam to the outside of my left knee, diagonally.. I catched a breeze on the ride home from the hospital..

do you feel that they could tear off just over the kevlar part leaving your leg exposed ?

Oh yeah, forgot to talk about my socks ... when I asked my girl to put them back on, the look she gave me was priceless ;D

- What socks ? Those were socks ? Are you sure you want them ?

She had only the part covering the ankle in her hands, the lower part of the socks were never to be found..
Lol about the socks. Were your feet fine?

When my buddy crashed, he only really went about 5 feet from impact (straight into a guardrail) a few feet to the left and onto the ground, and even with that little bit of movement his jeans ripped in a few places. I don't think he got any rash anywhere, though. His shoes did manage to get off, too, but I think his socks were fine :p.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts