Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and I did black tape underneath to prevent scratching to that fairing. I don't plan on resting to heavy a load on it. It's nice for locking your helmet to it to the eye-bolts or maybe a 15lb bag tops.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would tend to agree. I am trying to find a way to tie into the solid support areas like the Hepco and Renntech racks do, but not found the right materials yet for it. One could braze something also I guess. We'll see.... not planning any major rides on this bike just yet.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
It's nice for locking your helmet to it to the eye-bolts or maybe a 15lb bag tops.
I wouldn't go that far....unless you want to find your 15lbs of stuff scattered all over the road. Sorry, but I gotta call it like I see it. The issue isn't so much what you've built but how it is mounted.

Its location behind the rear wheel travel arc will create moments of inertia that will inevitably cause a failure of either the rack itself or the fairing it is sitting on.

Think of the inertia transmitted through it when you hit a bump. Then add orders of magnitude for each pound of load resting on it. Then repeat for each expansion joint you hit on the freeway.

It would not take a great deal of that before parts crack, starting with the least structurally sound part, the plastic tail fairing. Then the frame of your rack if the plastic base doesn't go first.

I've seen this happen with real deal, specifically designed touring racks made from high quality materials. If it happens to them, it will happen to yours.

It's probably best left as a spot to stow a spare helmet and not much more.

Not trying to be a d*ck but I'd rather you hear it from me and not lose your stuff on the freeway. I'd hate to read your rack failed and you lost your load on the freeway....or worse; it caused you to crash when your load got caught up in the rear wheel.

If I didn't say anything and read that, I'd really feel like a d*ck cuz I could have at least warned you it was possible or even likely.....sean

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
hi, I tend to agree with Sean. I made my own rack as I could not find one for the EX at the time. it is made from 1/8th thick 1in section steel box tube. all TIG welded and using as many frame mounts I could find.
the top box is the smallest one I could get just enough to carry a helmet the bike security chain and a few small personal items.
even so after one years use it started to crack the weld on top front mount. re designing this mount seemed to work but I do check it now and again.
you really do need some sort of rear hold up for the back of the rack. if you are not going to carry anything on it what is the point of having a rack in the first place so it has to be strong.
below is a shot of mine you will get the idea from this I am sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts